Auto backup

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

heks

Auto backup

Post by heks »

I can't seem to find anything about setting a time for an auto backup or auto backup .
Just got carried away with a rhythm and was changing an eq for a more precision eq and mixlab crashed taking the last 40 mins work with it. So, I'd best find and set how long between auto backups. can someone point me in the right direction.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Auto backup

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft creates a backup project each time you save, so try to get in the habit of hitting Ctrl+S from time to time.

People have requested a timed backup feature, and that's a possibility for the future. It would have to be carefully designed, because saving to a slow hard drive while recording at the same time could cause problems, for example.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

(cross post)

No auto backup at this time.

Develop the habit of hitting save periodically, combined with "save as" and rename in stages, so you have a version to go back to if you dont like the path you have taken a path you decide to abandon it.

Fwiw- its very difficult to successfully have an "auto save" in this environment. It would invariable occur at an inopportune moment and cause problems. I
I think another daw has some form of it, but as I recall they have a lot of user feedback that it causes problems.
In this case, you are the best decision maker as it stands....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Mark Bliss wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:24 pm Develop the habit of hitting save periodically, combined with "save as" and rename in stages, so you have a version to go back to if you dont like the path you have taken a path you decide to abandon it.
I've found it best way possible too.

'Save as' after every big step, and 'save' after every little change.

And for that reason I've turned off the backups completely, as it was creating huge size folders.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Turning off backups is not recommended for most people. It won't use up THAT much hard drive space, because the project files do not store audio, they just store MIDI.

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:49 pm Turning off backups is not recommended for most people.
If somebody finds it usefull, than ok. I turned them off in MX7 and haven't lost even one project since.

Project files between 1-2 MB each, 50 saves per session and you have folders big enough to clean them after every one...

Once the session is finished I make external copy, but luckily never have to go back to them :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I know, but all it takes is once, and you'll wish you had backups enabled.

That said, corrupted projects should be rare. If they aren't we need to do troubleshooting to figure out what's going on with the hardware/software configuration.

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

I'm not gonna argue with you, as you're the one here, who knows 'what's up'.

I just don't get the difference between my own saves and the backups. Are they worth more in case of any breakdown?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I suppose not, if you're faithfully making multiple backup projects. Automatic backups is just easier, and you can certainly cull them if you feel you don't need to save old ones or whatever.

Greg
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

If the development team wants to pursue this in the future, here's an idea from Reaper.
Attachments
Saving.png
Saving.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
heks

Post by heks »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:22 pm Hi,

Mixcraft creates a backup project each time you save, so try to get in the habit of hitting Ctrl+S from time to time.

People have requested a timed backup feature, and that's a possibility for the future. It would have to be carefully designed, because saving to a slow hard drive while recording at the same time could cause problems, for example.

Greg
Thank for replying, I will just have to remember to save more often, it didn't occur to me that MC9 wouldn't have auto save/backup. It would be a nice option to be able to chose to use or not.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

heks wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:43 am Thank for replying, I will just have to remember to save more often, it didn't occur to me that MC9 wouldn't have auto save/backup. It would be a nice option to be able to chose to use or not.
Hi,

Mixcraft does automatically create a backup project file every time you save, unless you turn that option off.

Save early, and save often!

Greg
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

trevlyns wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:29 am If the development team wants to pursue this in the future, here's an idea from Reaper.
This seems relatively straightforward. I'd love it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

But I do have to say: even with automatically timed backups, would you really trust software to know when to back up your project? There's always a chance of losing data, so you should really get in the habit of saving when you complete time-consuming tasks.