Auto backup

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

heks

Re: Auto backup

Post by heks »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:47 pm But I do have to say: even with automatically timed backups, would you really trust software to know when to back up your project? There's always a chance of losing data, so you should really get in the habit of saving when you complete time-consuming tasks.
They are often user timed as in the user sets how long a time there is before it auto saves. Can't remember all the times I've set in other DAW's but I've set Mulab set at 5 mins. If you do add auto backup/save, it wouldn't have to make fresh new file every time overwriting the back up would do for me as it is only a safety thing and we should all save before major changes. I just add to title of the work in progress with a version 1,2,3 or a,b, c etc.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I don’t want auto backup, so if it’s added please give us the option to turn it off.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
heks

Post by heks »

jlouvar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:33 am I don’t want auto backup, so if it’s added please give us the option to turn it off.
I totally agree, what work for one person may not for another. Which is why I suppose there are alot of DAW's. :)
MFW

Post by MFW »

Any word on this? Last 4 versions I've been hoping for this change.

It's a standard feature for basically every piece of software on the market. People saying they don't want a standard feature like that, which could easily be turned off or made not to overwrite, will hinder functionality revisions or expanding the user base. I don't know why that attitude is celebrated.

The amount of times i've been in a work-flow state editing, and then lost the last 30 minutes-2 hours of work in a crash, is mentally draining to the point of giving up projects. I save all the time, given how buggy this program is, but every so often I get lost in the work and forget, as it's not something you generally need to be used to do with other programs.

Almost always using control-z too soon after some other actions leads to a crash for me, which is at least once per session now with the way I work. I wouldn't care at all about that if there was an autosave to take me back 5 or 10 minutes rather than 2 hours. Instead, I end up frustrated with the program AND myself for not remembering.

If Reaper can include the feature simply like that, then at this point 20 years on, it kind of feels like lazy developing. I mean, it would be one change that benefits so many users and prevent so much loss. If it's really that hard to incorporate into the program, how about at least a prompt to save, after an adjustable time of inactivity (~30s), that can be enabled by the user?