Waves SSL G Master Bus Compressor Needle Doesn’t work?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

isuperduper

Waves SSL G Master Bus Compressor Needle Doesn’t work?

Post by isuperduper »

I just bought the SSL G Comp and when I inserted it to my master bus I noticed that the needle doesn’t move so I can’t see the gain reduction. I googled it and found that someone else in the past has said this in the forums and that he solved it apparently by using the VST2, but the thing is I don’t see the VST2 option for this particular plugins unlike other waves plugins that offer it. Maybe they removed it now?

So I guess it’s just a suggestion at this point to make the VST3 of the SSL G Comp to work properly? Unless there is another work around.

Thank you.
jlouvar

Re: Waves SSL G Master Bus Compressor Needle Doesn’t work?

Post by jlouvar »

Maybe go to the Waves website/forum and ask?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You probably need to choose to install the VST2 version. Run the installer again.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Assuming you are using MX9?

Would you try the mono vst3 version and please let us know if that works?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

Mark Bliss wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm Assuming you are using MX9?

Would you try the mono vst3 version and please let us know if that works?
Yes, tested on both MX8 & 9 and the stereo version of the plugin works, but without the gain reduction needle moving. However, after you told to test the mono version I did and the mono version works, but it makes the signal mono(obviously).

Do you happen to be a dev?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not a dev, no.
I am a long time user and have been on the beta team for the last several versions.

We have seen a few odd problems where certain specific plug ins behave oddly. Trouble is, its sometimes different for different users systems.

Waves plug-ins specifically seem to have a few titles that present some problems, and the Acoustica team has been communicating with the Waves team in an effort to sort some of this out at times.

The reason I asked the specific question was an effort to confirm my own findings on this plug in.
I have observed that the stereo version currently does not work in the latest build(s). No needle activity and no compression. Only the make-up gain seems to function.
I think it worked at some point in an earlier beta test version of MX9, but I am not certain and have no way of going back and testing as I have deleted those versions some time ago to regain drive space.

But if I use the mono version, it seems to function as expected, and it seems to me the output is still stereo.

I intend to test further and update an existing bug log on my findings as well. Could you re-test and confirm your findings please?
And of course, if anyone else reading this has this plug-in, additional results would be helpful.

I would like to see this one resolved.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
isuperduper

Post by isuperduper »

Mark Bliss wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 am I am not a dev, no.
I am a long time user and have been on the beta team for the last several versions.

We have seen a few odd problems where certain specific plug ins behave oddly. Trouble is, its sometimes different for different users systems.

Waves plug-ins specifically seem to have a few titles that present some problems, and the Acoustica team has been communicating with the Waves team in an effort to sort some of this out at times.

The reason I asked the specific question was an effort to confirm my own findings on this plug in.
I have observed that the stereo version currently does not work in the latest build(s). No needle activity and no compression. Only the make-up gain seems to function.
I think it worked at some point in an earlier beta test version of MX9, but I am not certain and have no way of going back and testing as I have deleted those versions some time ago to regain drive space.

But if I use the mono version, it seems to function as expected, and it seems to me the output is still stereo.

I intend to test further and update an existing bug log on my findings as well. Could you re-test and confirm your findings please?
And of course, if anyone else reading this has this plug-in, additional results would be helpful.

I would like to see this one resolved.
Thanks for clarifying and I appreciate yours and the whole Acoustica team's effort in fixing problems.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I can confirm that the Waves SSL G Compressor VST 3 version doesn't behave properly in Mixcraft 8 either. The needle moves as I adjust the threshold, but stays put when a signal goes through it. Can't say who's to fault. With the supposed advantages of VST 3, I still see compatibility issues from time to time. Other than Steinberg, I'm not sure who else has fully embraced the new standard. Apparently Steinberg has deprecated VST 2, even though it is still widely used.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
kendrumusic

Post by kendrumusic »

Hey I've just bought it and I'm having the same issue AU needle doesn't move.. and no VST is shown like my other Waves plugins.

Any update on this ?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I can confirm this vst3 title still doesnt work unfortunately.

I did find it worked when installed via Waves Studio Rack, but it either crashed intermittently or upon reloading a project.
I'd still like to see this work, but:
Life is short and theres many other options.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

kendrumusic wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:35 pm Hey I've just bought it and I'm having the same issue AU needle doesn't move.. and no VST is shown like my other Waves plugins.

Any update on this ?
Hi,

What do you mean when you say no VST is shown?

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I just tried it, and the VST version works, but not the VST3 version. So just use the VST version.

I installed it from Waves Central and it automatically installed the VST2 version:

SSCComp_VST2.png
SSCComp_VST2.png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 45591 times
Greg
bmyregaard

Post by bmyregaard »

Hi Greg. I got the Waves SSL G-Comp a couple of weeks ago and just tried it on my mix bus tonight. Same issue as above, no meter/threshold control. I looked in my folder, and I only have the VST3 version. I re-downloaded the plugin, but only the VST3 version seems to be there. How did you get the VST2 version? (I also sent a support ticket to Waves asking for the VST2 plugin).
Akai MPK MK3, Korg MicroKEY 25, Akai LPK 25, Korg nanoKEY2; Behringer XR18, Mackie ProFX8 v2; Adam T7V monitors; Shure Beta58a, Rode NT1-A; Acer Aspire E15 laptop, i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD www.facebook.com/darkstarproj www.soundcloud.com/bmyregaard
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

VST3 plugins all go into the same common VST3 folders. VST2 plugins could be installed anywhere. When you install it, does it ask where to put the VST file? Go into Plugins preferences, click Edit VST/VSTi Folders, and add that folder to the list, then restart Mixcraft.

Greg
bmyregaard

Post by bmyregaard »

Hi Greg. Sorry I missed your reply! No, the Waves Central install procedure gives no options. You click install and it just does it and say it's done, which is unfortunate. I scanned my C drive for all vst2 files and found no waves ssl file. You said you had it. Do you know where it's located? I've contacted Waves once about this, thought I had the answer, but didn't. Odd thing happens, though. If I drag this file: WaveShell2-VST 12.1_x64.dll, an application extension, not the vst file (see pic 3), then all the non-vst3 plugins load in the plugin fx list, underneath, or after, the regular vst list. And there, it seems, is the ssl comp mono & stereo non-vst3 plugin. But if I close Mixcraft and re-open it, it's gone. I assume the "x64.dll" refers to the vst3 file. I have all the vst plugin folders listed in the Plugins list in Preferences.
Attachments
mixcraft plugins 1.png
mixcraft plugins 1.png (377.34 KiB) Viewed 45279 times
mixcraft plugins 2.png
mixcraft plugins 2.png (356.03 KiB) Viewed 45279 times
mixcraft plugins 3.png
mixcraft plugins 3.png (239.83 KiB) Viewed 45279 times
Akai MPK MK3, Korg MicroKEY 25, Akai LPK 25, Korg nanoKEY2; Behringer XR18, Mackie ProFX8 v2; Adam T7V monitors; Shure Beta58a, Rode NT1-A; Acer Aspire E15 laptop, i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD www.facebook.com/darkstarproj www.soundcloud.com/bmyregaard