How to fix file association?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FlyingsCool

How to fix file association?

Post by FlyingsCool »

Hi

I just copied a Mixcraft 8 project over to my new computer and tried to open it in Mixcraft 9.
Unfortunately, I changed the top level name of directory it's stored in (the relative path from the mx8 file to the audio files is unchanged), and it's on a different drive now; it appears Mixcraft stores full filenames instead of just the relative path.

Is there anyway to change the association of a clip to another file? Mixcraft went out and found some other project on one of my USB drives instead of asking me what file or directory to choose from when it couldn't resolve the association. It didn't even say anything about not being able to resolve the association.

I also renamed one of the VST's on my old machine.

Mixcraft pointed out that it couldn't find a VST, is there anyway to reassociate the missing VST to it's new name (same VST different file name)?

Then, it appears in another situation you guys changed the name of the VST? The TB Ferox Tape Emulator? Looks like it used to be called Ferox Tape Emulator (or did I change the name?).
FlyingsCool

Re: How to fix file association?

Post by FlyingsCool »

In fact, it looks like I had accidentally loaded the clips from the SDHC card I was copying the files from... so, in this case it looks like no matter what I need an ability to re-associate the files to the path I actually want to use even in the original project. How do I get Mixcraft to ask me where the clip files are if it can't find them?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I take it you saved the project with the wrong files? Is there a copy of the project file that hasn't been saved with the wrong files yet? You could load that, and then browse to the location of the correct files.

If you don't have a project like that, I suppose you could temporarily rename the wrong files so that Mixcraft will try to search for the correct ones again. Click Browse and guide it to the correct location.

In the future, if you need to move projects or files around, choose "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu. This will gather up all the files you need for a project and put them into a single folder or zip file.

We did rename Ferox Tape Emulator to TB Ferox Tape Emulator in Mixcraft 9, because we replaced the old Acoustica effects with ToneBooster effects and Ferox is made by ToneBoosters.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Hi Greg,
Well, my first problem was that I unwittingly loaded the files from the wrong source when I built the project (wav files created by my Zoom16). After I had worked on the project for a while at work, I then wanted to move the project from my laptop to my main desktop. Normally I just copy the project directory and everything works ok (I'm usually careful to keep everything in the project directory).

This time, when I opened the project, rather than ask me where the files were when it couldn't find them, instead it randomly went to another drive and inserted the first .wav files it could find apparently, files from a directory not even close to the same path as the original files.

I was able to deduce what happened by browsing the project file with Notepad++ and found the original path of the source wav files.

Ultimately, I think the project save feature fixes my problem for me, as it'll copy the files from that source when the computer is set up appropriately with the wav files in the correct location.

It would be even nicer, to me, if you gave an interface that listed where all the files in a project were and allowed me to choose files for that slot (which could be very powerful for other purposes as well), but that's me and I know that would be a tough feature for you to maintain for the general public. As noted, I think I'll be able to do what I want with the project save feature (as much as it pains me to have to do that much work, haha).

Thanks for listening, and good tip, I wasn't aware of that feature.