Meter and Playback Levels are not accurate!?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jvoqaa

Meter and Playback Levels are not accurate!?

Post by Jvoqaa »

I have Mixcraft 7.7 and have been using it for a while, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the audio levels in Mixcraft do not give me accurate audio levels. So I had a recorded voice audio and I wanted that audio at -3dB, I got it to -3dB and when that was done I played it back and It sounded too low so I ran it through Audacity and it WAS too low. So I grabbed several sample audios and ran them through Mixcraft and...they hit peaks between +3dB and +6dB but when I ran them through Audacity...audio levels were at -3dB...so I have been working around this by getting my audio levels to read in between +3dB and +6dB then using Audacity to check if the audio levels are correct(and they are), but I would really like to just use Mixcraft for everything. I feel I'm the only one having this issue as I can't find anything on it, so was hoping maybe someone could help or maybe have a fix. my equipment is an Audio-technica AT2035 condenser mic that goes through a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 1st gen for recording.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Meter and Playback Levels are not accurate!?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try mixing down to a wav file with the same sample rate you're using in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. For example, if you're using a sample rate of 48000 Hz, try mixing down to a wav file with a sample rate of 48000 Hz. Click "Edit Details" when you go to mix down to change the sample rate.

Why? Because some plugins don't work properly when the sample rate changes upon mixdown.

Have you tried Mixcraft 9? It's awesome. Download Mixcraft 9

We've got great upgrade deals: Mixcraft Upgrade Check.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bigaquarium

Re: Meter and Playback Levels are not accurate!?

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

Keep in mind that MC has peak metering, it is often helpful to use VU or RMS for setting levels because they run on a rolling average. Mvmeter2 is a great free metering plug-in that offers both modes plus many more.

I like to paint my files a little on the hot side because they can always be pulled back later without adding noise.

-Nathan