Slow Project Loading Time

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mist001

Slow Project Loading Time

Post by Mist001 »

Every so often, I like to clean my PC of it's temporary files, cookies and so on and I use a program called 'Crap Cleaner' to do it. Once it's done, I restart my PC so everything's fresh.

Mixcraft opens fine without any problem but loading a project takes an exceedingly long time, in excess of 3 minutes. Is this normal?

I have exceptions for Mixcraft folders and files listed in Crap Cleaner and this one track in particular, only has one VST to be loaded (Old Skool Verb), so it's not like there's a lot of files for Mixcraft to scan.

I've provided a link to a video which I took of the process (beware! it's 3 minutes long and just a PC screen), but you can see the progress bar and what's happening.

My PC is pretty fast, (SSD, 12Gb memory, 3.2 Ghz CPU), so it's not hardware related.

Any suggestions as to how I can improve the project loading times?

Cheers.

https://youtu.be/j_Rnf916ofc
Windows 10 64bit, Asus Prime B550 m-a, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16Gb 3200 ram, 2 x M2 SSD.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Donner DMK-25 Midi keyboard.
jlouvar

Re: Slow Project Loading Time

Post by jlouvar »

I manually remove temporary files and I’ve never encountered that problem, so no it’s not normal. Here is an example of how I manually clean up my computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3cjTqC ... x=3&t=605s
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, it's normal. Here's why:

The first time you load an audio file, Mixcraft analyzes the audio and generates a temporary peak file (.mpk file). The temporary files allow the audio file to load quickly the next time you open the project.

If you delete your temporary files, Mixcraft will have to analyze the audio and generate the peak files again.

Analyzing the audio allows Mixcraft to display the waveforms on the clips, for one thing.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Oops, I didn’t know that, so I stand corrected. However I’ve never encountered a 3 minute startup time. Anyway, thanks Greg for the information.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

A lot of it would depend on the number of unique audio clips in the project, along with hard drive / processing speed.
Mist001

Post by Mist001 »

Thanks for the replies.

Where are the Mixcraft temporary .mpk files stored? I could then add an exception to Crap Cleaner to ignore that particular folder/files since I don't want to delete anything to do with Mixcraft anyway.

Thanks.
Windows 10 64bit, Asus Prime B550 m-a, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16Gb 3200 ram, 2 x M2 SSD.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In your Windows temp folder. You can see the exact folder in General preferences.

Greg
Mist001

Post by Mist001 »

Found them at:

C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Temp\Mixcraft\C\Users\*****\Desktop\Audio Visual\MY AUDIO WORK\AUDIO RECORDING\PURE ELECTRONIC\******\1

That's very handy to know so I've added them to Crap Cleaner exceptions, thanks!
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Thanks for sharing this!! I do the exact same procedure with CCleaner, and have noted the same results. Will find and add the .mpk files location on mine as well and give this a go!

Mike
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
hredthel

Post by hredthel »

I'm currently at about 1.5 hours load time for my projects. They are about 30-65 minutes (basically entire albums in one file) with hundreds and hundreds of audio clips. I had no idea about any of this info and I am very glad I found this thread. I'm going to add the MX8 users directory to my CCleaner exceptions and see if it helps!
hredthel

Post by hredthel »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:47 pm Hi,

In your Windows temp folder. You can see the exact folder in General preferences.

Greg
Can I change this directory to one of my SSD drives? My windows directory is on an M2 drive with very limited space!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, you could do that.

The temp files make subsequent loading of a project faster.

Greg
Tom Muench

Re: Slow Project Loading Time - UPDATED

Post by Tom Muench »

This is obviously an old topic.
For me it was absolutely new when upgrading to 9 Pro Studio.
At the beginning a few weeks ago it was working fine. 2 days ago it took about 50 minutes to load a project with 50 minutes of a live concert recording.
I found this topic in the Forum and another user suggested to uninstall Melodyne in my Apps.
I did so and also disabled the Melodyne Plugin in Preferences - Manage Plugins.

Now it takes about 3 seconds to fully load the same project.

It seems that - in my case - Melodyne was the culprit.

Thanks for the help!!!

Update May 9, 2022

Unfortunately, I am back to square one.
Very very slow project loading of projects that were not opened for 2 weeks or longer.

I am not running a Temp file cleaner, these temp files should be still there.
If I follow the temp file path shown in Preferences it is listing about 30 files, long combinations of numbers and letters.
As mentioned before the deleting of Melodyne (at least the one I can uninstall) was working great at the beginning, but now I am facing the same issue again.
Super slow project loading.
Does anyone have an idea what I can do?
Keep in mind that I am not a geek, I only have basic computer knowledge.
I only use Mixcraft occasionally, not on a daily basis.

Any easy instruction (step by step) that would help me to make this slow project load situation better would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Tom