Using My Keyboard Sounds

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Thecass

Using My Keyboard Sounds

Post by Thecass »

Hi Guys,

I'm newish to Mixcraft.
I've been using 8 for a few weeks and upgraded to 9.

Although the virtual synths and onboard sounds are amazing I want to be able to access the sounds from my other devices.
I have a Roland Fantom X and Gr-55 Guitar Synth.

When I go to my preference I can see the Roland Midi interface that I'm using but cant select my sounds from the Fantom X.

I'm sure this is an easy fix but this easy fix has escaped me for the past few weeks.
Drdish007

Re: Using My Keyboard Sounds

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use a Roland D5, Roland U220 sound module and a Ferofish B4000+ organ module for hardware sounds. The D5 and my M-audio 88 keyboard are my midi controllers. I use a MOTU 5 channel MIDI interface to connect the controllers and sound modules to the computer. To use these I select ' external synth ' in Mixcraft. Then I set the MIDI channel I want for the sound modules. The MIDI input on your audio interface will work. I chose the 5 channel.MIDI interface because of the number of controllers and modules.

For the sounds from these hardware synths, I have the synth module's audio out puts connected to inputs on my audio interface. I personally use an 8 channel mixer for the synth connections which then goes to 2 channels of my audio interface. In use a Focusrite18i20, which has 8 inputs. I use 2 channels for my hardware mixer outputs, and the other 6 channels for microphones. I can also use microphones in the hardware mixer to give me a stereo mix, like drum over head.

This way you can record the MIDI data and the audio from the synths. You could edit the MIDI data and have it play back and record the hardware sounds.

Hope this helps.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Thecass

Post by Thecass »

Thanks a mill, but can you dumb that down for me.
I'm a guitar player trying to use keyboards.

I'm seeing the UM1 source which is the Roland Mid Interface and I'm selecting a channel I'm selecting the same mid channel on my midi track but I'm not getting any instruments other than the Mixcraft stuff.

I'm trying to do screen grabs but it wont let me copy them to the box
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi, page 293 of the Mixcraft9 manual explains external MIDI devices.
If your external synth shows up, you set the MIDI channel to match the sounds you want from your synth. Example; I set my MIDI channel to 1. When I select the sound on the external synth that I want it will play that sound. The external synth would have to have its MIDI receive channel set to channel 1. To hear and record the sounds, you will have to have the audio outputs from your synth connected to your audio interface inputs. If it is a stereo sound you will use 2 input channels.I

MIDI sends control to MIDI devices no audio, that is why you need the synth audio outputs connected.

Does this help.better?
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1