Initial Start Velocity

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ChuckR

Initial Start Velocity

Post by ChuckR »

I am using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio and have an MIDI breath controlled instrument which is velocity sensitive when set to Expression breath controlled. If I breathe softly into the instrument the note will sound very softly and the harder I breathe into the instrument the louder the note sounds.
It works perfect with Woodwind Ensemble, Pan Flute, French Horn and many more. However when I try it with the Harmonica it kind of works. If I breathe softly into the instrument the initial sound will start at around 50% and increase with pressure. All the other instruments starts at 0 and go up with pressure.
Is there a way to change the Harmonica initial start velocity?

Thanks
Chuck
Acoustica Greg

Re: Initial Start Velocity

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You're using the Acoustica Instrument Harmonica preset? There's no way to set the initial velocity. I mean there's this setting:
Velocity setting for virtual instrument.
Velocity setting for virtual instrument.
harmonicavelocity.png (27.57 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
But that's so you can cause the instrument to only kick in with a certain velocity range (as a side note, it can be fun to stack virtual instruments that only play within certain velocity ranges. You can make your own super virtual instrument that way).

I do notice there are a couple of effects in that preset. I wonder what would happen if you turned off one or both?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ChuckR

Post by ChuckR »

Yes Greg that's the one.
Was hoping I could change the initial volume to be like the Woodwind or French horns

Thanks for the help
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try my suggestion of temporarily removing one or both of the effects on that preset to see if that helps?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ChuckR

Post by ChuckR »

Did not help
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Good morning!

One thing you could do is just pull up the velocity after you've recorded it, and all the relative velocities will still be preserved. When you select all of the notes in the piano roll there will be a grab handle down over the velocity section where you can accomplish this. If you want to be able to hear better while you record you could always record a different instrument, then switch to harmonica and raise up the velocity then.

- Nathan
ChuckR

Post by ChuckR »

I don't use Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio to record. I just play my wind instrument and use Mixcraft for the different sounds, purely for my own enjoyment. However I have recorded myself a couple times (boy do I sound bad!)
I was just trying to get the Harmonica volume to start softer like the Woodwind Ensemble does.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

Gotya. Well in that case there are some MIDI CC parameters you could try reducing, such as Volume, Expression, might even be a Soft Pedal. If you make a blank MIDI clip and draw in those parameters and play it back momentarily that should do what you are looking for, although not all instruments respond to every parameter.

-Nathan