Tracks from other projects appearing current project

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

elbowgeek

Tracks from other projects appearing current project

Post by elbowgeek »

Hi everyone,

I have a client running Mixcraft 8. It seems that, for some reason, tracks from other projects are suddenly and randomly appearing other projects. I don't know how to describe it any better, but if anyone h as any insights into this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dennis
Acoustica Greg

Re: Tracks from other projects appearing current project

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Audio files are stored separately from project files. When you load a Mixcraft project, it's looking for a specific filename in a specific folder when it loads each audio file. If the audio files or folders are moved, renamed or deleted, Mixcraft will try to search for the missing audio file. If it finds another file with the same name, it will load that. Recent versions of Mixcraft add a unique number to each recorded audio file to make this scenario less likely, but if your client had more than one file named drums.wav, then it could easily happen.

Mixcraft has an option under the File menu called "Copy Project Files to..." that is helpful when moving projects around, because it will move the necessary files to a new location.

For your client's current situation, it's a matter of figuring out where the correct files are located. If the client saved the project with the wrong files in place, there is a Backup folder inside the project folder with backed up previous saves.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
elbowgeek

Post by elbowgeek »

Thanks so much for your reply. I actually took a closer look at his system, and it seems he's basically thrown all of his projects together in a great heap, with project files and their associated subdirectories an absolute, confused mess.

I told him I really can't do much for him unless he sorts it out somewhat, and that any future projects need to be sorted into discreet directories of their very own.

Thanks again.

Dennis
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

elbowgeek wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 pm Thanks so much for your reply. I actually took a closer look at his system, and it seems he's basically thrown all of his projects together in a great heap, with project files and their associated subdirectories an absolute, confused mess.

I told him I really can't do much for him unless he sorts it out somewhat, and that any future projects need to be sorted into discreet directories of their very own.

Thanks again.

Dennis
Tell him the best way to organize his projects into their own folders, is to go to the most recent backup. Then use the Copy Projects to Folder selection. It should save everything in that project to a new folder.