VIDEO with MIDI

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ponteach

VIDEO with MIDI

Post by Ponteach »

An inquiry and suggestion: My penultimate Mixcraft 9 project files are Video and MIDI which I’m able to mix down (MP4, WMV, AVI). However, perhaps stating the obvious, during that process I give away the MIDI stream (which becomes audio). For me this is an issue because before a live audience (video screen and separate MIDI devices) I’m required to run the full Mixcraft program just to implement that basic two-stream process. It’s far from ideal in a live setting and the video component, as labeled, is meant only as a preview. It would seem a Mixcraft mix down option to a proprietary video file that retains the separate MIDI stream would not be difficult as those components are already in the program. It would require a Mixcraft video player as add on option but I’d be up for that.
jlouvar

Re: VIDEO with MIDI

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, it sounds like you need video editing software more than digital audio workstation software?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ponteach

Post by Ponteach »

Sure, if you know any ‘video editing software’ that plays videos while simultaneously sending a MIDI stream to the interface, let me know.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its not clear to me what you are wanting to do. (And I dont mess with video much).

But maybe you want to create/edit your video, solo and mix it down, import/add it as a new video track and create your video/midi performance/presentation?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ponteach

Post by Ponteach »

Thanks; it’s not about editing videos or mixing sound, just playback. Let’s say I have a completed Mixcraft project consisting of a video track and a MIDI track - which I intend to send to external sound devices via the installed MIDI interface. I can call up the Mixcraft ‘preview’ screen, watch the video while the interface sends MIDI code in sync to the external sound modules. That’s all I want to do. So I’m ok using it like that now, but it’s not ideal in a live/public setting. The Mixcraft video preview screen wasn’t meant for final public viewing. Mixcraft assumes that in the end you’re going to ‘mix down to’ MP4, WMV, or AVI. But if I do that, I’ll have a standard, professional video (with ‘wave’ sound), playable by any number of video players, but now no way of addressing the MIDI interface and thus no way to keep using external MIDI devices with my video.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Maybe call Sweetwater and ask them to help you choose some video editing software? https://www.sweetwater.com/c697--Video_Editing_Software
- Joe -

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is that even a thing? I know there are video formats where you can embed a timecode.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mbkeareny

Post by mbkeareny »

I would love to have this also. In my case for performance I would like to have a video track (w/ audio for backing track) plus midi output in sync for controlling externals. We DON'T want a video editing program! I love MixCraft but IMHO the weakest point is it is NOT friendly at all for performing live. I would really like to see a "stripped down" version for performance that would basically just play back without the overhead for recording. One of the things I'd also like to see is the ability to route a live audio input to an output track without having to hit "mon" because it is not saved with the song file. Song files also take way to long to load for live performances. Just my 2 cents worth...
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

It sounds like you want a digital mixer.
- Joe -

mbkeareny

Post by mbkeareny »

I have a nice external audio interface with 8 inputs and 10 outputs. I would like to mix these in MixCraft with existing audio, midi and a video track and route to 3-4 stereo output channels, using MixCraft to control automation on these tracks. I can do everything I need to do with a plethora of software but I LIKE MixCraft and if I had the features I am asking about, I could do EVERYTHING in MixCraft. I can build the songs fine in MixCraft, I just would like to stay in MixCraft for performing live. I CAN do that but it is just a real PITA because I have to set the "mon" for my live keyboards and mic's everytime I load in a song file. This is just too burdensome to do between songs, so I don't do it. Just looking for a good solution. Open to suggestions but I haven't found anything easy that works. A couple minor tweaks to MixCraft and it would be great... Just asking
Ponteach

Post by Ponteach »

First, greetings above to Acoustica Greg and “is that even a thing.” Yes, sure it is! Apple’s QuickTime Video Player has been around since 1991. Four simple steps and you have it: 1) load a video file; 2) import a MIDI file; 3) choose ‘external MIDI device’ 4) click play. Works beautifully, but well ... it’s Apple. Anyway, that's the discussion...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That’s the way Mixcraft currently works.

Did you know you can increase the size of the video preview in Mixcraft? Choose that option from the Video menu.

Greg
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
Could you use a finished video with a time code to control the Mixcraft MIDI? Video plays to your display setup, while the time code controls the audio / MIDI.

Hope you all are well.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft doesn't read video time codes, but you can certainly have a video track and a MIDI track, and have Mixcraft send the MIDI out to other software or hardware.

I think the main concern was that the video preview screen wasn't large enough, but you can change that on the Video menu.

Greg
Ponteach

Post by Ponteach »

Thanks Greg. In the first post, I mentioned that Mixcraft was already streaming video with MIDI and suggested that an Acoustica sub program that did only those tasks would be useful for live performance. Currently, I’m porting the video preview out to a second flat screen for the audience and the MIDI out to external devices, but obviously Mixcraft is still cycling through its ancillary screens and editors unrelated to that task. In public, employing a full DAW solely for playback is less than ideal. Anyway, thanks for listening.