Volume set to Zero

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Volume set to Zero

Post by gmpolin »

Every so often, I go to Press Play on whatever project I am working on, and the sound isn't correct, or there is silence. Each time I panic, and eventually notice that the volume on one or more tracks is shoved all the way to the left, so no sound is coming out.

I have seen this on multiple projects on both Mixcraft 8 and 9. It occurred this morning. I was working on a project in Mixcraft 9 and when I pressed play, perhaps after a save, there was no audio from my vocals. The track wasn't muted and it wouldn't play. I saved the file under another name, went back to the previous version (it was ok), and came back into the oddly behaving version, and after a few minutes of head-scratching, noticed the volume setting on the audio track set at zero and fixed it.

Does anybody have a rational explanation for how this happens? It is not that easy to move that volume slider accidentally, and if there is a keystroke to set the volume, I haven't found it).

(build 442 when it happened, and yes, I just updated to the most recent version, but this error happened to me a half dozen times in Mixcraft 8 as well.)

Tiger
jlouvar

Re: Volume set to Zero

Post by jlouvar »

Hi Tiger,

Wow, that’s wired and I’ve never heard of that happening so I have no idea what could be causing that... But out of curiosity, does it also happen with MIxcraft 9.0 Pro, Build 458, 64-bit too?

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Joe, I am using Mixcraft 9 Pro, 64 bit version. Just updated to the latest build this morning, so we will see.

Tiger
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Long shot - but are you using a MIDI controller? I had this happen and found I had accidentally moved a slider which cut the volume...
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Tevlyns,

Good idea, but I don't think so. My Korg is acting as a generic MIDI controller, but I don't sit at it typically in Mixcraft, unless I am recording a few notes...I am not a good player.

Anyway, I tried pushing all the sliders around on the Korg this morning, to no effect. I never set it up to map into Mixcraft, so the sliders did nothing.

Tiger
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Make sure you've got version 9.0 build 458.

Not sure what else it would be aside from a MIDI controller. There's no automation on the track?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

No, there is no automation on any track. I am in build 458, and the problem with the volume at zero did just happen again twice. I did a recording and played it back, and it was fine. A few moments later, after an interruption and the beginning of work on some midi tracks, I pressed Play again and the vocals didn't play. I checked and the track had the volume down all the way to zero again.

Aside from the nuisance value, since I now don't panic and know where to look, I am losing the previous setting. I will have to start writing down all the volume settings on paper. Paper!

Tiger
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

gmpolin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:32 amI will have to start writing down all the volume settings on paper. Paper!
FWIW There is the project tab where you can add project notes. As for the issue, is the keyboard/controller plugged in but not mapped to MC? Could it be the driver of the keys? Or maybe update your video card settings, that can mess with a bit. Does it do this when no controller is plugged in?

M