Recorded at 48 at 44.1

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FlyingsCool

Recorded at 48 at 44.1

Post by FlyingsCool »

Hi,

So I did some recording tonight through my Gen 1 Focusrite 6i6 into Mixcraft 8.1 build 418 and the Focusrite ASIO driver. Yes, I have upgraded to 9, but not on my laptop I was using tonight. I've never had any issues before, other than my S/PDIF issues I have with the Helix because all it's digital circuits share the same circuit.

So, again, I was having some input issues, S/PDIF wasn't working from my Helix consistently (it worked at first, but then I had some other issue so I did something and S/PDIF stopped working) so I just plugged left and right 1/4 line out into the line inputs in back of the 6i6 and I had two microphones in the the mic inputs on the front. Well, in the course of trying to debug my input issues, I had selected "use devices preferred settings" in the Sound device tab in Mixcraft. I think it showed it was set on 48000/480, but I can't remember.

I did listen to the recordings when I first started and they sounded fine. I recorded a few takes. I listened back a few times and did some setup on the tracks, everything was good. Then I read in an mp4 video I had recorded on my phone. Something I've been doing the last few weeks without any issue. I was having trouble syncing them up, and I realized the video was sounding slower than the audio.

I figured, hmm, must be some glitch, and I quit Mixcraft and got back in. Now all the audio I recorded is too fast, but the video reads in fine. It's as if it was recorded at 48000, but thought it was at 44.1 or something to that effect, whatever it takes to make me sound like a chipmunk. I've tried slowing down the audio tracks to 108.8%, but still doesn't sound right, though it does now line up with the video audio track in timing.

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong, or what choosing the "Use device preferred setting" did to screw up my tracks, what settings did I have set incorrectly?
Do I have any hope of salvaging them? Is there some sort of process I can do to the raw tracks to get their timing corrected?

Thanks,

Tom
FlyingsCool

Re: Recorded at 48 at 44.1

Post by FlyingsCool »

The track is marked as being 48000 32 bits, btw
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

The general rule is to record and mix down with the same bit, baud and sample rates. 16bit/44.1 and 512 buffer are pretty standard and get me decent latency. Though people want super low latency, change the settings, forget, then mix down with new settings which cause the issues that you're experiencing. There's a sticky thread above that explains it as well.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Make sure your Windows settings match what you have your sound preferences set to. If they differ, it can cause problems similar to what the OP described.

FWIW, I always use 24 bit.
And 48k works fine for me in most instances. I only convert to 16/44 in the final mastering rundown.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Yeah, I didn't MEAN to do it... It was just the result of some errors that occurred in my debugging other issues. I think the main issue was selecting the "use preferred device settings" in the sound device tab that did something. I am usually more careful about setting the correct bit rate.

My real question is... Is there a way to get the file converted to the correct rate?

And, technically, I'm just guessing at what happened. I don't know exactly what happened. I know -
1. I recorded the song
2. I listened to the recorded tracks, it sounded fine
3. I drag and dropped an MP4 from my phone into a track
4. I tried to line them up, and realized the video track sounded slow, and the audio was longer than the other audio tracks
5. I saved and quit the software thinking there was something wrong that rebooting the files would fix it
6. I reopened the track, and now the video file sounded correct, and the audio files I sounded like a chipmunk.

If I listen to the .wav files, they're too fast and marked as 48000, so I'm questioning myself here, but I know it sounded good at first, I know that. I don't know why Mixcraft would re-mark the files at a different bit rate after they've been recorded. I don't know what Mixcraft does when you impport a 48000 video file into a 44.1 project. I feel like the songs were recorded at 44.1, and when I imported the 48000 video file, something happened. But I could be wrong.

Technically, it doesn't really matter, I can just record them over, but I was wondering. They were decent tracks.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Do you have a previous version that worked backed up?

I would try going back to the audio only version, before you added the video.
Mix down the audio tracks to stems, converting them to the desired sampling rate.
Replace the audio in the project with the stems.
Import the video and try again.

Maybe?

Just guessing. Ive never experienced this kind of issue, and I have very little experience working with video within Mixcraft.

Greg has mentioned that the "use devices preferred settings" was something that could be problematic if used except in some very specific situations. And I am unfamiliar with the potential issues related to using the Helix/S/PDIF features, if that is even relevant.

Not sure what else to suggest except to experiment further. I dont think you can fix the mixed sample rate issue in the project by just changing settings though.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

If you look at the audio file on the Sound tab, is it set to "Use Project Tempo" over on the left? If so, you could try changing it to Time Stretch with a value of 100%.

Conversely, if it wasn't attempting to use the project's tempo, you could try selecting that.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101