Mixer: 1 reverb for 4 tracks? How?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Mixer: 1 reverb for 4 tracks? How?

Post by creativeforge »

Hi, Ok, time for me to be a bit more professional on how I use the mixer. Usually I assign an effect for each track (i.e. reverb, but by so doing I can end up with different reverbs type and settings.

The idea is to have 4 tracks of the vocals and going through them to pick the best parts of each before putting all the resulting stems on one track.

Is there an easy to understand tutorial that would show me (video or pics) how to have one instance of reverb for multiple tracks? I assume it would be done via the mixer screen. Right?

Thanks!

Andre
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixer: 1 reverb for 4 tracks? How?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Your going to want to use a send track for that.

There's some old info on using sends here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbobt1C ... ature=plcp
(Starting at 2:58)

And some more info here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

Both were based on old versions of Mixcraft, so there are some minor differences in MX9, but the basic concepts are the same, and it should get you started.
There's also some tutorial videos on v9: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26020
These are new, being created and added to, but I am not certain sends have been addressed there yet.

There is also information on this in the users guide, accessible from within the program, or downloadable in PDF format here: https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/support/manual
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

2 answers at once, cant beat that! :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Mark Bliss wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:41 am 2 answers at once, cant beat that! :D
Snap!
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Thank you!! Awesome!

1- I'm using v8. I never saw the need to move beyond v8 in the middle of a critical project.

2- I'll check all this material and see if I can manage.

3. Extra points for the quick responses! :)

Cheers!

Andre
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Send tracks are outdated and unnecessary.

Just put your tracks into a submix and put the reverb on the submix.
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Could you explain how you would do that? I have zero clue.

Thanks!
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Select all the tracks.
Right click on them, anywhere on the left hand side where there is a blank space.
Inert Track/Submix Track

Now your tracks are in a submix. Insert a reverb in the submix, job done.
guitfnky

Post by guitfnky »

aj113 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:14 am Send tracks are outdated and unnecessary.

in what way are sends “outdated”? busses/submixes and sends are different tools that serve different purposes.

using a buss is useful when you want a fader to control the overall levels of a group of tracks, and/or when you want to use an effect over the submix. using sends is better when your processing doesn’t have wet/dry controls (many excellent effects still don’t).

granted, most reverbs do have wet/dry mix knobs, so sure, using a buss instead of a send is a perfectly viable way of working, but to suggest sends have outlived their usefulness is a bit of a stretch.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

guitfnky wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:30 am

in what way are sends “outdated”? busses/submixes and sends are different tools that serve different purposes.

using a buss is useful when you want a fader to control the overall levels of a group of tracks, and/or when you want to use an effect over the submix. using sends is better when your processing doesn’t have wet/dry controls (many excellent effects still don’t).

granted, most reverbs do have wet/dry mix knobs, so sure, using a buss instead of a send is a perfectly viable way of working, but to suggest sends have outlived their usefulness is a bit of a stretch.
Sends are a relic of old studios, when there were only a few items of hardware because they were so expensive. Sends allowed multiple tracks to use the same piece of hardware. You can now insert multiple effects on each individual channel - or at worst on a submix. There is no need for send tracks. I've used Mixcraft for over ten years in a professional studio and never once used a send track.
LeeUK

Post by LeeUK »

Hi

I've only been recording for a year or so and I've always wondered the difference between submix/send tracks😀
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
Using Send Tracks gives you ability to send different levels to the reverb, or any effect. The Submix Track will send the same level to the reverb, or effect, of all child tracks in the submix.
I use Submix Track to control the levels of certain instrument groups. Example; I will put my 8 drum tracks in a submit so I can control their levels with one volume control. I would mix the the individual tracks to balance the drum kit sound. Using the submix volume control doesn't mess up the drum kit mix, just adjusts the volume of the drum kit mix.

Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
guitfnky

Post by guitfnky »

aj113 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:40 am
guitfnky wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:30 am

Sends are a relic of old studios, when there were only a few items of hardware because they were so expensive. Sends allowed multiple tracks to use the same piece of hardware. You can now insert multiple effects on each individual channel - or at worst on a submix. There is no need for send tracks. I've used Mixcraft for over ten years in a professional studio and never once used a send track.
I know what sends are. I learned and interned at a professional studio.

just because you’ve never used a send track doesn’t mean they’re not useful, or that they’re outdated. as I said before, the two tools do very different things.

to the last poster’s point, if you want to send different amounts of each track through an effect (i.e. you want more reverb on the snare and less on the kick) you can do that with sends. you can’t do that if you’re using a submix buss. if you’re using a buss, you can adjust the volume of the kick and snare going into the buss, but they’ll both have the same amount of reverb (e.g. 50% wet/dry ratio in the reverb you have attached to the buss).

and of course you could say, “just add the same effect to the separate tracks”, but, well, I hope you can see the issues there... it’s not efficient, having to either manually set them all up, or having to copy and paste settings. and if you want to use the same reverb on four tracks, it means you’re quadrupling the CPU hit, if you use that method. and if the plugin you want to use doesn’t have a wet/dry setting, adding the plugin directly to the tracks doesn’t necessarily make sense.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Plus with send tracks you are not putting as heavy a load on the CPU which could otherwise happen, even with sub-mixes. With all those individual instances of fx on multiple tracks it requires more power. Not necessarily a deal breaker on all projects, but I've found it helpful in optimizing my PC as a rule.