Midi output from VST only to another track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

liberaltugboat

Re: Midi output from VST only to another track

Post by liberaltugboat »

bigaquarium wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:25 am Good morning!

Here's your solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9Mwktrfj0

:wink:

- Nathan
Unfortunately this does not solve the issue of certain midi generating VSTs leaking the original note along side the generated midi. The example in your video (Chordz) does not usually have issues, but other popular VSTs like Kirnu Cream, Instachord, Reason Rack, etc still have issues. The only way to work around the issue is to use a mini VST host with both the midi generator and the instrument in it to completely bypass Mixcraft's midi routing.
ozboomer

Post by ozboomer »

I've recently acquired Mixcraft Recording Studio v9 and while it has some more options for MIDI Routing, it still has the same issue, which the suggested solution mostly addresses... but I still get some 'bleed through' (in Kirnu Cream, anyway), where a track with chords will still sound the chords even though the arpeggiator output is going through the track.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hmmm,

I was able to get this to work with Chordz fairly easily.

Track 1:

1. Instrument: Add Chordz. Set input from a specific MIDI port on Channel 1
2. Record your single note passage that will be later translated into chords as a clip
3. On this same track add another instrument below as an External MIDI Devices. Choose a port that is different from the input you selected above. Set this port to output on channel 2. You may need LoopBE or loopMIDI to set up these ports.

Track 2:

1. Add your VST that you want to play the chords
2. Set the MIDI Input to channel 2 and choose a port that will be routed from the output port from the chords track

Arm track 2. Hit record. The MIDI that gets recorded on track 2 is Chordz only ouput. There are no double MIDI notes.

The reason, I believe, is because the notes on the Chordz track are recorded on channel 1. However, we are routing information after Chordz on channel 2. We are setting the input of track 2 to only receive channel 2 input.

p.s. I just watched the video and they suggested something similar. The only difference is they chose ALL MIDI INPUT for the chordz track. I think this is where the double of the MIDI note comes in because you want to make sure the same channel note data is transmitted and recorded.