Audio Control Panel + Effects

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Andy85

Audio Control Panel + Effects

Post by Andy85 »

I am currently trialing Mixcraft 9... (bought MP3 Audio Mixer and CD Label Maker years ago).

So I am just accustoming myself to it but really wish there was an option to have 'sliders' instead of 'knobs' as I find knobs annoying :D

None of my hard audio mixers have knobs... always have sliders... allows for easy viewing at a glance and better adjustment. :D

Also.. I would really like to see a different application for effects which can be applied individually to a track rather an effect that applies to the whole track.

I'm sure I had something like this on some other software some time ago... (not mixcraft) and it was really useful.

Anyway just my thought on this ;)
Andy
Attachments
mixcraft.jpg
mixcraft.jpg (160.47 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Mark Bliss

Re: Audio Control Panel + Effects

Post by Mark Bliss »

You can automate effects to accomplish what you describe.

And I dont know what "knobs" you speak of specifically, but I dont recall ever seeing a hardware mixer with no knobs.
Sliders take up valuable space.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

+1 on Mark's suggestion about automation. I've gotten away from track effects lately, and have been doing a lot of sends instead, which is a great way to do what you're talking about. Instead of drawing an envelope on a clip you're drawing it on the track!

Then again, doing a lot of sends will add a lot of knobs! :wink:

- Nathan
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Just dealing with the pic you've posted - I think you may be referring to Reaper where you can have different FX on different parts of a track...
But using your example; I'd just duplicate the track twice: Split the audio where you want the FX and delete all the rest, then just place the FX required on the individual 'new' tracks. So you'd have main track (with the highlighted bits cut out), track 2 just with echo section and track 3 with the flanger.
You could then maybe bounce the three tracks to have one track with all your requirements
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

50 ways to record your brother...... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 pm 50 ways to record your brother...... 8)
By Paul Simon’s friend, lol. :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Andy85

Post by Andy85 »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:33 pm Just dealing with the pic you've posted - I think you may be referring to Reaper where you can have different FX on different parts of a track...
But using your example; I'd just duplicate the track twice: Split the audio where you want the FX and delete all the rest, then just place the FX required on the individual 'new' tracks. So you'd have main track (with the highlighted bits cut out), track 2 just with echo section and track 3 with the flanger.
You could then maybe bounce the three tracks to have one track with all your requirements
Thanks for the reply and yes that is what I have been doing... but then if there are multiple effects that need to be applied to a single track then you end up with a lot of tracks taking up space.

Thanks
AP
Andy85

Post by Andy85 »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:04 pm You can automate effects to accomplish what you describe.

And I dont know what "knobs" you speak of specifically, but I dont recall ever seeing a hardware mixer with no knobs.
Sliders take up valuable space.
Thanks for the reply... Yes indeed a hard mixer will have some knobs for adjustments but I have always considered sliders to be easier to use.

I have dealt with PA systems for many years and have always gone for as much slider control as possible

For example the mixcraft volume controls for each track are laid out with sliders and very easy to adjust with a mouse.

The audio controller is just fiddly with on the knob controlled by the mouse.

I suppose it is what your use to.

Thanks
AP
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Professional hardware audio mixing consoles have more buttons and knobs than faders.
Even my cheap little home hardware mixer has more buttons and knobs than faders. :wink:
Attachments
C32A1648-580A-43BE-BE90-6A8B94674E7B.jpeg
C32A1648-580A-43BE-BE90-6A8B94674E7B.jpeg (127.74 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Andy85 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:24 pmFor example the mixcraft volume controls for each track are laid out with sliders and very easy to adjust with a mouse.

The audio controller is just fiddly with on the knob controlled by the mouse.

I suppose it is what your use to.
Wouldn't it be great if there were mouse wheel scroll control? You know, hover the mouse over a knob or fader and the mouse wheel controls said knob or fader. Even the Tone Booster vst offer this. My #1 request for MC for sure.

M
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

another thought - do it with automation of the wet mix on the FX...
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
aj113

Post by aj113 »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:33 pm ... I'd just duplicate the track twice: Split the audio where you want the FX and delete all the rest, then just place the FX required on the individual 'new' tracks. So you'd have main track (with the highlighted bits cut out), track 2 just with echo section and track 3 with the flanger.
Two reasons for doing it this way:

1. The automation is buggy. It doesn't always come in and out exactly where you want it, and it often has an audible click at the start/finish if you're bringing it in from zero.

2. You can visibly see in the DAW exactly where each effect operates on the track.

I would do it this way even if there were a facility to put separate effects on separate sections of a track.