How can I set my octa capture so that I either hear on my headphone or my studio speakers?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ceyhun242

How can I set my octa capture so that I either hear on my headphone or my studio speakers?

Post by ceyhun242 »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask you sth about Roland Octa capture headphone/monitor switch. I'm looking for a way to have only one "on" at the time by clicking on a button on PC screen without having to leave the desk to press the switch on the interface..

Previously I had connected both my headphone and studio monitors to the 1/2 output and was leaving my desk to hit the switch when I didn't want to hear monitors and I was looking for a know to turn on/off on my PC screen but couldn't find it

Lately, I switched my studio monitors to 3/4 and my headphone on 1/2 and this way I can turn off any one of them and turn on the other so it kind of worked this way. But now the issues is before I was just switching one know, now I need to switch 2 things, turn off headphone turn on monitors or turn off monitors turn on headphone. you might say just leave the headphone all the time on. but I d rather not so that when I hear form studies monitors, headphone should not play and thus not become weary of unnecessary use...

What could be the solution in which when I mute one, it should unmute the other and visa versa through OCTA-CAPTURE PC software panel or is there some software that might take such actions in the background as you take a triggering action?

Also, when I switched the studio monitors from 1/2 to 3/4 the volume of the speakers increased substantially. Why could be that so? Does 3/4 output give more volume than 1/2 output because the volume of 1/2 is shared with the headphone maybe?

Thank you
JonInc

Re: How can I set my octa capture so that I either hear on my headphone or my studio speakers?

Post by JonInc »

I don't have the Octa-Capture, but I use a physical switch box to move inputs between different headphones. Works great, with no loss in audio quality. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/STEREO-Manual-Sp ... ref=sr_1_1

I get that you might not want to spend money to solve this problem, but just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
ceyhun242

Re: How can I set my octa capture so that I either hear on my headphone or my studio speakers?

Post by ceyhun242 »

thank you, but then this can switch between 3.5mm headphones/speakers. But how can I switch between yamaha hs monitors connected to octacapture and my headphone attached again to my octacapture?

thank you
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

ceyhun242 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 am thank you, but then this can switch between 3.5mm headphones/speakers. But how can I switch between yamaha hs monitors connected to octacapture and my headphone attached again to my octacapture?

thank you
No. You would need to have the monitors and headphones connected to the switch/controller box. Either a custom switch box or a dedicated monitor controller like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

"Also, when I switched the studio monitors from 1/2 to 3/4 the volume of the speakers increased substantially. Why could be that so?"

Don't know. Do you have the latest firmware/drivers installed?

Finally, you don't mention the UA 1010 control panel, where a lot of the functionalityy is controlled. Have you looked over the user manual and experimented with the controls?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You cant control headphone level/monitor level separately from your interface?

I dont understand your monitor level question. You turned it up from 1/2 to 3/4 and it got louder?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

He wants to use a switch instead of turning up/down headphones/monitors, it's that extra step.

M
ceyhun242

Post by ceyhun242 »

JonInc wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:16 am
ceyhun242 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 am thank you, but then this can switch between 3.5mm headphones/speakers. But how can I switch between yamaha hs monitors connected to octacapture and my headphone attached again to my octacapture?

thank you
No. You would need to have the monitors and headphones connected to the switch/controller box. Either a custom switch box or a dedicated monitor controller like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

"Also, when I switched the studio monitors from 1/2 to 3/4 the volume of the speakers increased substantially. Why could be that so?"

Don't know. Do you have the latest firmware/drivers installed?

Finally, you don't mention the UA 1010 control panel, where a lot of the functionalityy is controlled. Have you looked over the user manual and experimented with the controls?
The switchbox you mentioned in your previous reply was way cheaper than the item in the link you shared in your latest reply. Better choose which one based on what?

I can use software interface to input a different setting I designed by inputting speakers to 3/4 and keeping headphone at 1/2 but I guess 3/4 gives higher volume than 1/2 is this right? Drivers are automatically installed by windows, I guess would be the same with updates.. By the way I use octacapture not UA 1010. Why d you mention UA?

I wish I could keep both speakers and headphones input at line 1/2 in octacapture and could just click on computer or daw a button that either keeps only headphones on or speakers on. With another click making both on. Or better a switch on the side of my headhone and once switch it turns headphone either on or off like a power button. Would make all things easy...
Any suggestion?

Thank you
ceyhun242

Post by ceyhun242 »

Mark Bliss wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 am You cant control headphone level/monitor level separately from your interface?

I dont understand your monitor level question. You turned it up from 1/2 to 3/4 and it got louder?
Both monitor and headphone is on 1/2, I can't change their volumes seperately. There is only one psychical switch on hardware to mute or unmute headphone. I want a software button to switch from headphone to speaker or vica versa..

If I plug monitors to 3/4 instead of 1/2, they play louder. Do you know why?
ceyhun242

Post by ceyhun242 »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:08 pm He wants to use a switch instead of turning up/down headphones/monitors, it's that extra step.

M
Both monitor and headphone is on 1/2, I can't change their volumes seperately. There is only one psychical switch on hardware to mute or unmute headphone. I want a software button to switch from headphone to speaker or vica versa..

If I plug monitors to 3/4 instead of 1/2, they play louder. Do you know why?