How to get rid of the crackling of Classic Compressor's "Vocal Definition" preset?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Qwoll

How to get rid of the crackling of Classic Compressor's "Vocal Definition" preset?

Post by Qwoll »

I love the preset but the slightest lil pop noise hurts my ears and sounds really bad. there's lots of crackling. how do i fix that?
Mark Bliss

Re: How to get rid of the crackling of Classic Compressor's "Vocal Definition" preset?

Post by Mark Bliss »

I seem to recall someone mentioning this in the past- maybe it was you?

Its very hard to say without hearing an example, just what you are experiencing. And I haven't used that compressor in years....

But keep in mind- its a preset. Maybe useful as a starting point.
But compressor presets don't have any way of knowing what the incoming level is. Some are optimized for a specific level range, but seldom is anything published on what that level/range is. I often have seen them used where they do nothing at all due to low levels.
And some presets are just not very good anyway.

Its the same thing with presets on traditional EQ plug ins.
The preset cant know the frequency content of the incoming audio, so its just someone's guess as to what might work. And its often very wrong.

I think your going to need to adjust the settings to what works or try a different compressor to find what best suits you.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page