Audio Dropouts on a new Dell XPS 8930 dilemma

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Facto

Audio Dropouts on a new Dell XPS 8930 dilemma

Post by Facto »

So since February I've been using Mixcraft 9 on a new Dell XPS 8930 i7 with 32GB RAM and 2TB Solid state drive.

From the beginning I experience audio drop outs constantly.... even just recording one or two tracks. It's a nightmare and I can't seem to find any help. My audio interface is an Audient ID14. I've tried ALL the audio preference combinations in Mixcraft to no avail. I ran LatencyMon...results attached. There are some very high "Highest Execution" numbers evident but not sure where to start. Just curious if there are any IT heads out there that have run into this or have suggestions. Thanks!
Attachments
LatencyMon 2.PNG
LatencyMon 2.PNG (232.27 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Win 10 64 bit; MX9 Pro; Intel i7-9700 CPU ; 32 GB RAM ... 2TB SSD
jlouvar

Re: Audio Dropouts on a new Dell XPS 8930 dilemma

Post by jlouvar »

Out if curiosity, are you using Windows 10 with Mixcraft 9.0 Pro, Build 460, 64-bit?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Facto

Post by Facto »

Just now I updated to Build 460.....AND....now projects that I used the performance panel to record I can't hear.....no audio and no meter movement. All others I can. And I tested and can record a new project. One problem leads to another..... WTF?
Win 10 64 bit; MX9 Pro; Intel i7-9700 CPU ; 32 GB RAM ... 2TB SSD
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, bummer. Don't worry, I'm sure Acoustic Greg can help you (it's probably just some settings), but it's the weekend so he might not see your post here until Monday. You could also contact Acoustic Support at: https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new
- Joe -

GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

First thing I would check would be to go into Task Manager and see if there is any process running in the background that is taking up resources. If you reboot your computer and have no programs running your System Idle Process should be in the high 90's for percentage.

I updated to my first SSD drive about 9 months ago, and I used a program called Acronis True Image to duplicate my old hard drive to the new SSD. When I opened my DAW , I would get a pop, click and stutter about every ten seconds. There was a program by Acronis running in the background keeping data on my SSD drive. I disabled it and everything has run fine since then.

I noticed in your LatencyMon report that you have your Audient driver (TUSBAudio Class Driver) running, but you also have a High Definition Audio Bus Driver using a lot of resources. This is probably your on board audio system. You could go in and disable it to see if this helps at all. Just right click on the little speaker icon in the tool tray at the bottom right. I did this on my system, the problem is you will get no other sounds from your computer such as windows media player, etc. This does not bother me because the computer I use is only for my DAW.

The top of your LatencyMon has Microsoft Storage Port Driver (storport.sys) using a lot of resources too. The only thing I found on this usually resulted in a crash (BSOD) but I did find one place that it gave a guy problems and he corrected it by resetting his power management features. So you could go in Control Panel and make sure your power management is set to the highest performance setting. Here is the thread on how he fixed it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... e.3230567/

At least this is a couple of things you can check. Good luck.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Facto did you solve the problem?
- Joe -

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

FWIW I've got an Audient iD14 and have no issues. Have you gone into your sound settings there's a control panel and select Audient, advanced settings and set the same sample and bit rates as in Audient mixer settings ie 16bit, 512, 44.100 and match them in MC also.

M
Attachments
settings2.png
settings2.png (229.7 KiB) Viewed 2202 times