Automation is nice

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SethSkoda

Automation is nice

Post by SethSkoda »

But there is room for improvement. This is really a feature suggestion/request, but I want input from other users to see if it's just me.
Well, you already know how any parameter can be controlled via automation. One thing about it that drives me up the wall is that the automation on parameters is 0-1 with decimal values. On most plugins I use (FM synthesis or subtractive), the maximum number tends to be one less than a power of 2 (15, 31, 127, etc). This leads to insane decimal numbers that I need to copy and paste. I was thinking that it would be great to be able to customize the scale per parameter. So, if the parameter I am editing via automation is 0-127, I could right click in the automation lane with that parameter selected and have an option to set the scale as such (and snap to whole numbers). Or, if possible, I would prefer it to auto-detect, though it should be an option I can either trigger or better yet, keep in preferences, just in case it may cause freezing/crashing.
Also, it would be nice to be able to route MIDI data on a virtual instrument clip to each parameter, so that it can change automatically as it plays. Again, customizing the scale would be a must, since 15 ≠ 127, etc.
Just a thought.
jneudorf

Re: Automation is nice

Post by jneudorf »

I have a similar problem using a vocal synthesizer vst called "Alter/Ego". Individual lines of speech are chosen using CC#2 ie, 0 on CC#2, 1 on CC#1 etc. So, to change from "0" to "1", I need to set the automation to 0.00784, which is approximately 1/127, but not quite.

I suppose it's not a common problem; have you found any good workarounds?
ferez21

Post by ferez21 »

jneudorf wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:16 am I have a similar problem using a vocal synthesizer vst called "Alter/Ego". Individual lines of speech are chosen using CC#2 ie, 0 on CC#2, 1 on CC#1 etc. So, to change from "0" to "1", I need to set the automation to 0.00784, which is approximately 1/127, but not quite.

I suppose it's not a common problem; have you found any good workarounds?
How about using this plugin to map different values CC to MIDI note, essentially making it like the plugins that have key switches for articulations:
https://www.codefn42.com/notemapper/

What You are asking for is Content Aware Automation, which not a lot of DAWs have, especially not for 3rd party plugins. I think the only one so far that I used that had that is Studio One, and I don't remember if it was only for it's own bundled plugins, or also worked or 3rd party.
It sure will be nice to have that feature in Mixcraft 10 :)
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi jneudorf and SethSkoda,

SethSkoda, you can edit parameters on the MIDI clip itself and use the 7 bit values (0 - 127) for whatever CC.

For something like AlterEgo that requires specific keyswitches or CC changes, I would'nt use the automation lanes on the track. I would use the the MIDI clip itself for the keyswitches and I would use the CC edit area under the piano to modify the MIDI CC.

mixcraft cc 2.JPG
mixcraft cc 2.JPG (52.42 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Once you select the CC you want to modify, Right Click under the note or in the measure where you want the change to start then choose Add Controller and set the value to the line number you want to switch to.