midifile processing in Mixcraft (6 or 9)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Hansie

midifile processing in Mixcraft (6 or 9)

Post by Hansie »

Hi,

First message on this forum. Using Mixcraft 6 for several years for my audio recordings and enjoying it very much. Very plain and simple to use. I am considering updating to Mixcraft 9 but I am still somewhat hesitant.

The reason is the (im)possibilities to edit purchased midifiles in Mixcraft. Until now I am using an ancient Cubase VST32, in which midi-editing for an external synth is a breeze. The correct midi output per default is automatically set, adding a midi clicktrack, changing volumes and program changes only takes minutes and I am good to go.

This is a well known and fast workflow for me, but would love to know if this is also possible in Mixcraft.
Until now I did not find a proper solution for this. Could someone give me an update upon how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Hans
GovernmentMule

Re: midifile processing in Mixcraft (6 or 9)

Post by GovernmentMule »

As far as the external synth is concerned I do this all the time. I do not remember if this was available in Mixcraft 6 or not but with 8 or 9 once you have your instrument/ midi track loaded, if you click on the instrument Icon like you were loading a virtual instrument, there will be a choice for External Midi Device. Once you click on that it will list the available midi device to send the midi to. Make sure you pick the correct Midi channel.
I have a Roland sound module, a Korg Keyboard, and a USB Midisport Midi Interface I send data to all the time.
Then all you do is add an Audio Track and record the synth from there. It works good in my case
If you have the Mixcraft 9 manual you can read about it on page 290/291.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Keep in mind you can also install the free trial and test it out. 8)

*I am not certain what you are asking, and MX6 was a LONG time ago for me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Hansie

Post by Hansie »

GovernmentMule wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:23 am As far as the external synth is concerned I do this all the time. I do not remember if this was available in Mixcraft 6 or not but with 8 or 9 once you have your instrument/ midi track loaded, if you click on the instrument Icon like you were loading a virtual instrument, there will be a choice for External Midi Device. Once you click on that it will list the available midi device to send the midi to. Make sure you pick the correct Midi channel.
I have a Roland sound module, a Korg Keyboard, and a USB Midisport Midi Interface I send data to all the time.
Then all you do is add an Audio Track and record the synth from there. It works good in my case
If you have the Mixcraft 9 manual you can read about it on page 290/291.
I know from Mixcraft 6 that this is possible, but what is annoying me, is in the case midifile editing I have set all miditracks to External manually.

Do you know if you can set the External Midi Device as default output in Mixcraft9?
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

I do not think that is possible. The only way I know to come close would be set up a template with inserted instrument tracks already set for external midi device selected and then load your midi files to the tracks. The problem would be what type of midi file is it?. If it is a multitrack midi file it would open up other instrument tracks and you would have to go in and select External Midi Device manually. If it is a single track midi file (for instance only bass) you could just drag it to one of your pre inserted tracks from the template.

You could put in a request to have a checkbox in preferences to have all new instrument tracks default to External Midi Device.
Hansie

Post by Hansie »

Always love it when I get a response from the developer :-)

"Hi, setting a persistent external device is not possible at this time but I will certainly add it to our update list for the developers to consider.
Eric VanLandingham"

Perhaps I follow the suggestion to download the demo of MC9, in order to find out if it is a big improvement upon MC6.

Thx!

Hans