Mixcraft Failed to Save the Project

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Mixcraft Failed to Save the Project

Post by gmpolin »

I am getting a message when I try to save a Mixcraft 9 Pro project that mixcraft "failed to save the project", with the suggestions of being out of disk space, removable drive being absent, etc. I am on Build 460.

Of course, I try another folder, a second hard drive, and none of this works. Yes, I have plenty of free space.

This seems to happen if I leave the project overnight and then come back to it in the morning. I am not sure of this. But each time it has happened, that was the case. I went into something I had left overnight, made some changes, and then it wouldn't save.

Has anyone seen this, or are there any suggestions for avoiding this, other than not leaving Mixcraft running overnight.

Glenn
jlouvar

Re: Mixcraft Failed to Save the Project

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, maybe something is lost because your computer is going to sleep? But out of curiosity, why don’t you save the project before you go to sleep instead of waiting overnight to save the project?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I wouldn't leave any project open for longer than I absolutely had to. It's a good practice to shut down programs and your pc when not being used for extended periods. Habitual for me, save early and often, especially before closing MC and shutting down pc.

M
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

The project is a practice setup, for doing vocal exercises, and sometimes I get interrupted and don't get back till the next morning. I am as fastidious about saving large projects as anyone.

This is usually two audio tracks, one with a background and the other with my improv or exercise. I only save it if something good comes from my vocals or improv, and I want to share it with the class. Usually, I just don't save it.

I will try to log exact steps to see if it replicates. I was hoping it was a known bug or some such, and I didn't have to spend time worrying about it happening again.

Glenn
sbogati

Post by sbogati »

I have the same issue. I installed it for the first time today and fired it up. Recoded something and I get the same error. I have tried saving in multiple locations where I know there is tons of spaces left and now luck
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

sbogati wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:36 pm I have the same issue. I installed it for the first time today and fired it up. Recoded something and I get the same error. I have tried saving in multiple locations where I know there is tons of spaces left and now luck
Hello and welcome to the MIxcraft forum.

Unfortunately you didn’t post enough information here to solve your problem. So (after this holiday weekend) I suggest contacting Acoustica support at: https://acoustica.kayako.com/conversation/new and remember the more information you give them better and faster they can help you. Start with your computer, what version of MIxcraft you’re using, etc, etc.

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Sometimes this problem is due to Windows Defender security settings.
Sometimes it's due to an invalid temporary files folder.
Sometimes it's due to Windows file permissions settings.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Greg, when this happens I have tried saving everywhere on two different drives. Nothing can be saved from Mixcraft to any location. All other programs running operate normally, and Mixcraft operates normally as soon as you close it and restart it. Perhaps there is an interaction with the operating system, but Mixcraft is certainly involved and part of the problem. The three reasons you give below are rational, but don't explain why everything is fine after Mixcraft restarts, or why other running programs don't have the problem.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try it again, and if it happens again - quit Mixcraft and send in your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Greg, I couldn't replicate it reliably when I first posted it. It hasn't happened recently. But I will try to remember to look for the procedure outlined here next time it happens.

Glenn
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Today Mixcraft failed to save a new project. I started it up this morning, and dragged a MIDI file into it, and was practising recording the vocals for a song. These were just practice takes, so I hadn't bothered to save the project. When I decided to take a break and save it, I got the message that Mixcraft was unable to save the project. I submitted a support request.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You probably need to update to the beta version.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Does this mean you think the bug is fixed in the beta version?

(I'm in the middle of trying to produce something and don't want to introduce new instability.)

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There was a particular issue with not being able to save that was fixed in build 461, yes. What is your saving process? Are you using "Save As" at some point?

Other cases have been caused by Windows security settings in the past.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Yes, it is an untitled project, and then I say "Save As".

If I said Save, instead of Save As, would that avoid the bug?

How close is build 461?

Glenn