Question on system

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

wreck

Question on system

Post by wreck »

I have a bud that is wanting to get Mixcraft, and system. , This is what he was looking into (16gb ram 2tb HD 516 SSD Quad Core i5 with Windows10) I told him he might wanna get something better. My questions is , in opinions what should he get to run smoothly. The system I use is (32GB ram Amd Ryzen 7 3700X 8_core 3.59 GHZ) But he is not wanting to spend as much as that cost me.

Thanks all.
jlouvar

Re: Question on system

Post by jlouvar »

It depends on what they want to do... But System Requirements are:

Windows 7 SP1, 8 or 10 (64 or 32-bit)
8 GB RAM
1.8 GHz Dual Core CPU (Quad Core or higher recommended)
Sound card, USB, or Firewire sound device
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio requires Internet access for Voltage Modular Ignite and Melodyne activation.
Voltage Modular Ignite (included in Mixcraft Pro Studio) requires 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Mixcraft. https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/support/ ... quirements
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

wreck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:53 am16gb ram 2tb HD 516 SSD Quad Core i5 with Windows10
Should be plenty if it's a newer i5, older chips seem to have their limitations so a newer i5 or even better an i7, but everything else is definitely good to go for a decent rig.

M
wreck

Post by wreck »

Thanks! \m/
comedians

Post by comedians »

Hiya

Can I ask have you had any issues or problems with the Ryzen 7 3700x, and what mainboard do you use?

My old gen i5 is in need of change but I did read in a couple of places about some vst's not working with the AMD processor so unsure if I should go with an Intel 9th generation.

Thanks
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

comedians wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:57 pm My old gen i5 is in need of change but I did read in a couple of places about some vst's not working with the AMD processor so unsure if I should go with an Intel 9th generation.
There's buggy/glitchy/bad plugs that can give folks fits but often it's a specific plug-in with a specific machine and/or project that can cause issues. The best advice I can give is get the best system you can afford and research whether the plugins work well in MC, the majority work fine, a big majority but oftentimes you'll hear of issues that aren't the plugs fault or cracked plugs or install issues etc.

M
comedians

Post by comedians »

Thanks Joe
I asked because I noticed Wreck uses a r7 3700x so wondered how he go on with it didn't realise you used AMD also.

I am in the fortunate position of not having an upper budget but coming from a place where we are considered to "keep an eye on't brass" I try to buy as much as I need and not more. Everything these days seems geared to gaming and I don't want turbo boost or bells and whistles just something with good All Core Processing Speed rather than lots of cores at less.

My current i7 cores never reach even 50% on cpu meter but can't sustain at low latency when more than 8/10 tracks.
comedians

Post by comedians »

Thought I'd give an update on the situation with the 7th gen Ryzen processors for anyone thinking of using them & concerned as to some reports of vst problems etc.

I bit the bullet and put an AMD 3700x into an Asus x470 board along with 32gb ddr4 3200 ram.

At first switch on I was amazed how Windows 10 had no objection to the change in motherboard or cpu, it just loaded all the needed drivers without question and booted straight in the OP. Full marks to Windows 10.

Loaded up a project which had been struggling with 11 tracks, resources always high, system averaging 30-45% and Mixcraft at 20% and of course latency an issue. I put in an extra half a dozen hungry VST's, dropped the buffers down, lo and behold Mixcraft and system running at 2-5% and no buffer problems.

Should have done this sooner but as audio work is so much more needy than my Eduis NLVE I had doubts as to how much difference there would be without sticking to Intel. I was wrong - the new generation Ryzen CPU's fly.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use a i5 quad core cpu, with 64bit Windows 10, and 16g RAM. My signature shows more details on my computer.
It runs good for me. No problems with large track counts. I even made a video using Mixcraft without issues. ( https://youtu.be/rQCCBerr37U )
I think I have an ASUS mother board.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

I think the new Ryzen CPU's are fantastic.

I've got a 3600X in my build with 16GB RAM (and a fast NVME) and have no issues with MC running into the ground due to
lack of CPU resource.

The days of Intel dominating are (hopefully) well and truly over. I appreciate that gamers still hold them in high esteem
due to the higher single core speeds but the latest 3600XT / 3800XT and 3900XT CPU's narrow that gap a lot.

tbh, I'm looking at the 3800XT as my next upgrade, this version offers up to 200Mhz per clock boost over the older 3800X
(both CPU's being 8 core 16 thread).
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
Mixcraft 10.5 PS / EZDrummer3 / Sonicake Matribox 2
Ryzen 5800X / 32GB DDR4 / 1TB NVME / RX6800
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

comedians wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 pm Thanks Joe
I asked because I noticed Wreck uses a r7 3700x so wondered how he go on with it didn't realise you used AMD also.
I’m running Windows 10, 64-bit. Intel i5, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar