file size

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rwhocutt

file size

Post by rwhocutt »

I'm working on a song (under 4 minutes) and the software seems very sluggish. There are seemingly random pops and scratches on playback that I wasn't hearing until just recently. Also when I save the file, it takes a long time and I am informed while waiting that the program is "not responding". However if I wait long enough it does seem to actually save the changes. This is also a recent development. The file size shows up as 616 Mb. This seems high to me although I am brand new at this. Is this file size reasonable?
jlouvar

Re: file size

Post by jlouvar »

rwhocutt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 pm I'm working on a song (under 4 minutes) and the software seems very sluggish. There are seemingly random pops and scratches on playback that I wasn't hearing until just recently. Also when I save the file, it takes a long time and I am informed while waiting that the program is "not responding". However if I wait long enough it does seem to actually save the changes. This is also a recent development. The file size shows up as 616 Mb. This seems high to me although I am brand new at this. Is this file size reasonable?
Hello and welcome to the MIxcraft forum.

Make sure you optimize your computer for MIxcraft: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14668
Also checkout this thread: https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24566

If you’re using an external audio interface make sure the drivers are up to date and use ASIO.

I’m guessing that you’re using MIxcraft 9.0 Pro, Build 460, 64-bit with Windows 10... Are you using any third party VST, plug-ins, etc?

MIxcraft can easily handle a 4 minute song.

Joe
Last edited by jlouvar on Sat May 23, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

@rwhocutt I would speculate that the described problem likely has nothing to do with file size (what file though?) And probably is related to your system configuration and buffer size.
What sound settings? What kind of drive are you reading/writing from/to? Etc. Are probably the areas to evaluate first.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rwhocutt

Post by rwhocutt »

The file size I am referring to is of the song itself. I hit save or click the radio button and it defaults into the dialog. I save it to the C drive.
I am using Pro Studio, and updated to build 460 after I started this thread, Windows 10, 64 bit.
I am using EZDrummer. To check the effect of EZD on the file size, I made a copy of the entire song, deleted the virtual instrument track dedicated to the drums, saved it, and found that action increased the file from 616Mb to 622Mb.

I'm not sure what can explain this. I'm not running anything in the background that I can identify. On playback the Mixcraft CPU is metered at around 13% -15 %, and System is between 15% -17%. There is 344Gb free space on the C Drive.

I notice that in the file folder there are many .Wav files, most of which I thought I discarded. Is there a setting that lets me delete unwanted takes without retaining them in the project folder?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

rwhocutt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 amThe file size I am referring to is of the song itself.
Song file? Project folder?
As I previously stated, I don't think it matters. And FWIW, I have song files much smaller, and some larger projects that certainly exceed 600K. I have project folders that exceed 1G regularly.
rwhocutt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am I hit save or click the radio button and it defaults into the dialog. I save it to the C drive.
Is it a high performance drive? Slower drives, Especially those common in laptops, can cause some issues. That's why I asked.
rwhocutt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am I am using EZDrummer. To check the effect of EZD on the file size, I made a copy of the entire song, deleted the virtual instrument track dedicated to the drums, saved it, and found that action increased the file from 616Mb to 622Mb.
This adds more confusion, as the song file shouldn't get bigger when something is deleted. The project folder would (or might). But again, I question the relevance.
rwhocutt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am I'm not sure what can explain this. I'm not running anything in the background that I can identify. On playback the Mixcraft CPU is metered at around 13% -15 %, and System is between 15% -17%. There is 344Gb free space on the C Drive.
That rules out a full drive, little else.
rwhocutt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am I notice that in the file folder there are many .Wav files, most of which I thought I discarded. Is there a setting that lets me delete unwanted takes without retaining them in the project folder?
The project isn't using the extra or redundant files. That's not the problem. I would suggest for now leaving them alone. Separate question and issue anyway.

Going back to my original questions-
Sound device? Sound settings? Buffer size?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page