Hard Drive Colon Cleanser Tip

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jwarv

Hard Drive Colon Cleanser Tip

Post by jwarv »

Sorry for the graphic title, but it seems like the best description.

I was just checking out my backup folder and when I selected all of them they added up to over 100 mb. I know that's not much in storage, but if you add up all your projects and make as many changes to them as I do, that's a lot of unnecessary poop clogging up your hd space.

So, I'm going through everything and will save only the last backups. I feel lighter already.

Happy cleansing!! 8)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Hard Drive Colon Cleanser Tip

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Maybe you should keep the newest several backups?

I don't know, some people end up having corrupted projects a lot for reasons I don't understand. It's up to you, but some redundancy is good.

Hard drive space is so plentiful these days, it's probably not worth worrying about for most people.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Greg,

Good idea. A handful can't hurt.

I guess I'm a bit OCD about having enough space because I hang on to everything. But I find that if a project folder doesn't have well identified, neatly organized files, it gets under my skin. Especially with multiple takes. I tend to go back into my projects and merge most of my tracks so I can get rid of all those loose stems.

I know, I'm a sicko.
davenz

Post by davenz »

You are not a sicko, I know the feeling, and many others share it too, but as has been said you can really come unglued deleting files 'just because' they are there. Files get corrupted all the time, and if your Mixcraft project files fall victim one day, you'll keenly regret deleting those backups. Most user's hard drives these days have lots of free space, and it is a misconception that performance loss happens on a machine with thousands of files on the drive. Performance will only suffer if the drive is so packed to the gunnels with data that there is no room for the swap files and other areas required by the operating system; if that happens Windows will usually tell you long before it becomes a problem. Leaving those project files alone makes good sense and deleting them won't help one bit.
mixcraftlive.com/dave_thompson
davethompson.co.nz