Minor Feature Request About Track Colors?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Minor Feature Request About Track Colors?

Post by squeakie »

Don’t know if it’s possible but IMO it would be great if the color you select for the track not only shows in the clip, but also on the tracks/tracks list, and mixer tab. It really does help for quickly identifying groups of instruments (for example when doing film score). This feature is common in other DAWS.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
RollingStone

Re: Minor Feature Request About Track Colors?

Post by RollingStone »

yes, you are 100% right and you are not the first who mentions this.
i had this similar point amongst some other design requests for a better overview a few days/weeks ago here in this forum.
things like that should be customizable for every user.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I hope they can do it. Seems like a feature that shouldn’t need to wait until a new version of MixCraft comes out. I really like MixCraft.., it’s very intuitive, and easy to use, and they have one of the easiest set ups for using a Multitimbral VST. However, when you’re doing anything orchestral or film score related, having only the clips assigned to a color can be a bit of a pain when you’re putting orchestral sections together. I tend to use Cakewalk at times, because it assigns the color to the clip, track list, and channel strip, but would still prefer to do this in MixCraft.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use different colours for different audio instruments. I noticed on the mixer that the track name, near the bottom, has the same colour as the audio track. So it is easy to see instrument sections. I used red for all my drum tracks, blue for piano, yellow for guitars , and orange for bass guitar tracks. I sub-mixed the drum track, and the others, and the colours showed up on the mixer, even on the sub-mix tracks. So its easy to see the different instrument tracks.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I know it indicates the color at the bottom. I’m talking about the entire channel strip. Have a look at a few other DAW’s. It’s a much more efficient visual reference when the entire strip is the color, especially when you have a considerable amount of tracks. When doing film score, orchestral, and instrumental compositions, it’s much easier to keep track of entire sections of instruments this way “visually”, because most of us have a system we already use when it comes to what color we use for various instruments.

Sqk
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I don't think the whole mixer needs to change colour. When people do live sound they label the mixer channels for its source to that channel on a section of the mixer, near the bottom or on a section made for labeling. They don't label the whole channel strip. I think Mixcraft did a good job having the colour on the channel name, which matched the clip view. I can see the different instrument sections with the channel name colours.
- Myran ( My opinion )
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Well that’s you.., but there are a lot of musicians out there who do prefer the clips and track strips change color. If it’s not a feature you use.., what’s the point of even commenting on the post? Current set up works for you.., well great.., this request isn’t something off the wall and uncommon. It’s actually very common.

Sqk
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I would welcome at least the option of having the mixer tracks the color of the track, especially if undocked on another screen. I'm no computer programmer and I don't play one on tv but I'd think having that option wouldn't be too much of a burden.

M
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:43 am I would welcome at least the option of having the mixer tracks the color of the track, especially if undocked on another screen. I'm no computer programmer and I don't play one on tv but I'd think having that option wouldn't be too much of a burden.

M
Yes!!!! I also use dual screens and keep my mixer up on the 2nd monitor. I hope they can implement this option.

Sqk
MikaB

Post by MikaB »

Second this feature request, it would be really useful.
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101