Mic volume very low

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

paulsuttle7

Mic volume very low

Post by paulsuttle7 »

Hi
New to this recording game, so please go easy
I'm a guitar player and singer, I'd like to record simple guitar and vocal tracks, I have Mixcraft 8, and I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 interface to connect to laptop.

The guitar side is fine, connected through the Scarlett I can record that perfect, no problem, its the vocals!!!

I have been using a normal gig (Dynamic) mic to record my vocals but that sounds like I'm down the toilet, however the recording levels are ok. I've recently bought a condenser mic, but it has a XLR to 3.5mm plug lead that has an USB adaptor to plug into laptop. I have tried to use my old XLR to XLR cable but can't get that to work. When using the XLR to 3.5mm cable the recording levels are very low, even when I move the red bar all the way to the right, the levels go up, but the sound is still low.

Any suggestions/ideas?
Is it the wrong condenser mic, sound it be one with an XLR to XLR cable to work through the Scarlett?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Mark Bliss

Re: Mic volume very low

Post by Mark Bliss »

Have you tried the xlr cable with phantom power activated on the interface?

A condenser generally requires a power source for its internal circuitry to function.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
comedians

Re: Mic volume very low

Post by comedians »

Hi Paul

What you describe sounds rather strange to me. Are you sure the mic you bought is not a USB condenser mic ?
Does the 3.5mm male have standard 3 rings or 4 rings ?
If so would need to connect directly into your laptop via usb, that is where it not only gets the input signal, but also gets low level phantom power.
So would not work not via your scarlett.
In Mixcraft sound preferences, or windows sound settings, would need to change the recording input from Scarlett to the USB microphone.

Assuming of course it is not a normal condenser mic that gets power via the Scarlett, as Mark implied.