Extreme beginner here and just have 2 questions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Courtney

Extreme beginner here and just have 2 questions!

Post by Courtney »

Hello,

I’m hoping somebody can help me- I am trying to record a song into my laptop so that I can use mixcraft. I am just learning all of this... I know that I can use vocal effects in mixcraft after...but is there a way I can record me singing through my microphone + vocal harmonizing pedal & regular amp and have mixcraft record that sound?
When I tried this (without the amp and directly into the laptop) mixcraft wasn’t recognizing the harmonizing effects of my Boss VE-2 pedal.

One other question-
I’m having issues with mixcraft not hearing any input audio sound at all. No bar is moving. I’ve armed the track, gone to preferences and tried every different input/output sound combination possible. I’ve downloaded the latest drivers... any advice on what else I can try?

Thanks so so much
From a complete beginner!!
jlouvar

Re: Extreme beginner here and just have 2 questions!

Post by jlouvar »

Courtney wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:03 pm Hello,

I’m hoping somebody can help me- I am trying to record a song into my laptop so that I can use mixcraft. I am just learning all of this... I know that I can use vocal effects in mixcraft after...but is there a way I can record me singing through my microphone + vocal harmonizing pedal & regular amp and have mixcraft record that sound?
When I tried this (without the amp and directly into the laptop) mixcraft wasn’t recognizing the harmonizing effects of my Boss VE-2 pedal.

One other question-
I’m having issues with mixcraft not hearing any input audio sound at all. No bar is moving. I’ve armed the track, gone to preferences and tried every different input/output sound combination possible. I’ve downloaded the latest drivers... any advice on what else I can try?

Thanks so so much
From a complete beginner!!
Hello and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

When setting up your audio interface in Mixcraft preferences use ASIO.
It should look like something similar to this image, except for your audio interface rather than my Focusrite interface, etc.

Joe
Attachments
102a.PNG
102a.PNG (190.27 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ranibe

Post by Ranibe »

Hello
In mixcraft you can record the voice, all the desired instruments integrate plugins etc.
From experience the audio rendering with a vocal pedal (me boss ve20) is not great these pedals are rather made for the scene,
there are voice plugins with a much better rendering such as Izotope (nectar 3), Antares harmony engine etc ...
1 /
For recording you need to plug in once, go to REC (which will turn red) to give it routing (stereo -left right etc.)
2 / Adjust the gain of your inputs on your sound card and record at the recording volume level to keep you room for future mixing.
For the drivers I advise you to put yourself in asio with that normally everything should work.
Hoping that we were of help to you
cordially
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Very cool- thank you both so much - I’ll try the ASIO and am definitely excited to check out those vocal plugins!
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

I switched to ASIO and the bar is moving (yeah!) but no sound is coming out. Is this because I don’t have external speakers attached? I have headphones - and those weren’t working either. When I try and change the playback setting in ASIO- it only has one option (Output Left/Output Right)
ASIO Device : AudioBox
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Courtney wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:55 am I switched to ASIO and the bar is moving (yeah!) but no sound is coming out. Is this because I don’t have external speakers attached? I have headphones - and those weren’t working either. When I try and change the playback setting in ASIO- it only has one option (Output Left/Output Right)
ASIO Device : AudioBox
I'm assuming you are talking about a Presonus AudioBox USB interface. If Mixcraft is not listing it as a ASIO device it is not seeing the interface, it should be an option in the ASIO device dropdown.. Make sure you have the drivers installed or reinstall them and restart your computer and Mixcraft. Once it sees the interface you should be able to hear through your headphones even if you do not have speakers attached.
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Yea it’s a Presonus audiobox USB 96. I took a pic to see if you could tell me if mixcraft is seeing it as a playback device.
I’ll reinstall the driver and try restarting

Thanks so much!
Attachments
47E5F501-F080-4B56-AA79-8BA7C352E557.jpeg
47E5F501-F080-4B56-AA79-8BA7C352E557.jpeg (116.21 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Did you click the monitor audio tab, little speaker icon between tuner and mute on the track?

M
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Courtney wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:30 am Yea it’s a Presonus audiobox USB 96. I took a pic to see if you could tell me if mixcraft is seeing it as a playback device.
I’ll reinstall the driver and try restarting

Thanks so much!
That looks right to me. No need to reinstall. You said earlier that you seen a bar(meter) moving, what bar is moving and what are you trying to listen to? A instrument you are trying to record on the input or a track that already has audio?

Edit- if you are trying to hear a instrument or microphone on the input do what Mark said above and turn on the montor button.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Just a quick thought, your headphones (or speakers) should be plugged into the Audiobox/interface, not the computer.

More details are needed otherwise, as to just what you are doing/trying to do and both detailed methods and results.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

My headphones are plugged into my laptop- I will definitely try to connect directly into the audio box- I’m ordering an adapter for that right now- thanks!

This is the bar that’s moving as of now-(the 3rd track down) I’m trying to hear my voice through my microphone that’s connected to the audiobox into the laptop.

:)
Attachments
BF0CB19F-5553-491A-89B4-0836C9BB877C.jpeg
BF0CB19F-5553-491A-89B4-0836C9BB877C.jpeg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

You want to choose channel 7/8 for output to use the headphone jack in the Audiobox. (I'm using one too)
Attachments
output source.jpg
output source.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Ok thanks!
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi and welcome!
Also check out these videos on getting started with Mixcraft..
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Ljs1MSp5z
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Courtney wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:20 am My headphones are plugged into my laptop- I will definitely try to connect directly into the audio box- I’m ordering an adapter for that right now- thanks!
Yeah, thats a problem....

When you use an interface like the Audiobox and its ASIO driver, it becomes your soundcard. The on-board soundcard is overridden and disabled to focus resources on the external sound card/interface for optimum performamce.

You are trying to use both at once. Monitor from your interface.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page