Mixcraft 9 Muted Clip Texture Issue

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dub1504

Post by dub1504 »

Hi,

I've been using Mixcraft since version 7 and it is my DAW of choice for many reasons. I've updated from 8 to 9 some time ago but one thing is actually putting me off using version 9. It is related to the way version 9 displays muted clips.

Since version 9 muted clips are being shown as gray with 45 degress texture over it. All this is very annoying as it obscures actual waveform in muted clip and sometimes it is useful to see that.
mutedclip.png
mutedclip.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
The above shows how it is in MC 9 and how it used to be in MC 8.

I've also noticed that when using MC9 some of the muted waveform on some larger monitors provide very strange effects. On others it is just fine.

I know that background artifact can distort what we see as per this:

https://www.sciencealert.com/strange-op ... -blindness

but I am not one of them

Is there any way to change anything in mixskin.ini to revert muted tracks to show how they used to in MC 8 ?
dub1504

Post by dub1504 »

Hi Guys,

Can anyone from Acoustica team help with this ?
It is really annoying that we have texture on muted clips. It is bad on big and wide screens.
Mixcraft 8 did not have that, they were simply greyed out and it was great.
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft 9 Muted Clip Texture Issue

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am going to raise my hand and humbly state that I also have a strong preference for the old art here. :arrow:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
heks

Post by heks »

Mark Bliss wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 pm I am going to raise my hand and humbly state that I also have a strong preference for the old art here. :arrow:
I also agree, is there a reason for the change or is it just cosmetic? If its cosmetic and some people may like it, could there be something added to preferences to allow the user to select their preference
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dub1504

Post by dub1504 »

OK. I've found the way to get rid of this annoying feature. I am bit disappointed that no one from Acoustica looked into it.

Texture over muted clips was never good idea and perhaps when you guys are adding something like that and it fundamentally changes the way things used to be give us an option to disable it. This is serious issue with projects that we need to revisit after some months as suddenly there is another element of change to layout.

On the other hand, and I'll be blunt here, It looks plain awful on a big wide screens with multiple tracks muted.
Entire screens appear to be warped but they are not, plus it is hard to see waveform cues that we sometimes use on muted clips.
Up until this week I wasn't using Mixcraft 9 because of this and I had it since first week of its release.

Solution involves editing mixskinV8.ini file.
I am not sure that is the right way but perhaps Acoustica guys could clarify it a bit.
Last edited by dub1504 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I logged your request so that it could be considered for a future update.

If you change it with the mixskin file, be sure to back up that file, because it might get overwritten.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

+1.

I assume you're talking about the "mute-clip-track-non-trans.png" file?

If so, simply deleting the line in "mixskinV8.ini" should do the trick.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.