Samples linked or embedded?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Samples linked or embedded?

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Hi all

I was doing a drive cleanup and moving/deleting some files that I'd used in previous MX9 projects. So I've opened up an old project and after running what looked like a scan, it's now saying cannot locate sound file?

I didn't think to question whether Mixcraft linked or embedded any sound files as linking would be a bizarre thing to do. Have I just assumed incorrectly or is this another issue?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Mark Bliss

Re: Samples linked or embedded?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Linked.
This is how non destructive editing works. And this is how all DAW's work.
The project file is a set of instructions on how to use the data. The original data is retained. not over written or "embedded"

Hopefully you have archived backed up folders if it was important material....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply. That's useful to know. All the sound files have disappeared from the song? So if I restore the files, will they reappear back in my project? I keep all my original samples on BT Cloud and just download the ones I use for a project. As I thought they were embedded, I just cleared the downloads folder on my laptop. So I'll have to re-download from the Cloud again. In future, I will just have to copy all the samples used to the MX9 project folder for each song.

Thanks,

Chris
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You want the sounds on a local hard drive while you're working on the project in order to have speedy access to the files. If a DAW has to wait for something to download from the cloud, the audio may break up while you're playing it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Hi

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant I keep all my original samples on BT Cloud and just download the ones to my hard drive when using in a project. I assumed they would be embedded so just deleted them from my Downloads folder on my laptop. They don't stream directly from the Cloud.

Chris