Hardware question, 2 cores vs 4 cores in Mixcraft 9 design

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GregRBand

Hardware question, 2 cores vs 4 cores in Mixcraft 9 design

Post by GregRBand »

Hello all,

I know this subject has been talked about in past here for older versions, but I wanted to get feedback specifically about Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio I am now running (loving n learning on).

I've read about how 2 cores higher base rate can sometimes work better than 4 cores slower base clock rate in some software, and vise versa.

My current PC has Intel quad core i5-4460s @ 2.9 base rate (higher with turbo) with 16 gb ram, 7,200 rpm internal drive.
I'm considering an all in one computer that offers an AMD Ryzen 3 325OU @ 2.6 base clock (higher with turbo) with 2 cores, 256gb SSD and 1TB 7,200rpm internal both. It comes with 8gb ram but I'll upgrade it to 16gb also for $40-50.

I noticed that some music software actually ran very well on my old 2008 iMac with a 2 core intel, 6gb ram, regular HDD. Even better than the i5 PC referenced above it seemed at times. Maybe I was just imagining it, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone who knows lots about CPU and Mixcraft could give insight into a complex question.

Thanks in advance!!!
Rolling Estonian

Re: Hardware question, 2 cores vs 4 cores in Mixcraft 9 design

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Can't really go into core uses and such but I can say that your i5 is an older one and will face limitations with any daw. I have an i7-4750 with 12gb ram and get jacked up when opening more than one vsti open with a few plugins. Processors have come a long way in just the last couple of years.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

More cores is generally better. The system requirements for some big plugins recommend at least a quad core computer.

As to why it ran well on your 2 core computer, it's hard to say, because there are too many variables involved, like amount of RAM, the particular plugins you were running, hard drive speed, the sound device, other applications running in the background, and so on.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Thanks guys!
I know it's an unknown far as the two I'm considering, but I wanted to ask generally, and at least give the info best I could for anyone who was savvy.

I figured the SSD might make the 2 core even more fast beating out the i5 setup I currently have. I'd rather get a newer machine that I can afford if it was ok, than start modifying the older one and all the hassles I'm sure I'd run into. Lol
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Update:

Just found out my i5 is a 2014 chip, 4 core/4 thread version.

The new AMD system considering is 2020 chip, 2 core/4 thread version if that makes any difference in music and Mixcraft processing.
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

Is there a particular reason for choosing an "all in one" PC? I'm assuming here that it's one of those
PC's with built in monitor and stuff?

Obviously upgrading those can be a bit of a bind.

The new Ryzen 3 3300X CPU's are excellent value.
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
Mixcraft 10.5 PS / EZDrummer3 / Sonicake Matribox 2
Ryzen 5800X / 32GB DDR4 / 1TB NVME / RX6800
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It may work fine. Or it may not be "enough"
This would depend on your specific use.

If I were shopping for a system at this point I would strongly prefer a quad core at minimum. And I would also shy away from the "all in one" format for this application, as mentioned. They are really cool for common desktop use. But inflexible and less desirable for the needs of this application. I have also heard they run hot when run hard, which could present a reliability problem.
But still, as described- needs vary. A lot. Really hard to give better advice.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

I really appreciate all your comments.
I can tell what I'm doing is trying to justify getting a much newer and prettier workstation for my learning and getting feet wet over next few years... catching up for lost years I've dragged my toes.

I also was trying to keep it simple in questions, but my dad needs a new computer so I was thinking of offing my i5 Lenovo tower to him for a couple hundred bucks (fair price as I got it a few years ago on super sale for $400), sell my old 2011 iMac as well (probably still worth $400), and kind of have best of both worlds with a pretty iMac looking all in one but brand new 2020 HP unit with SSD already installed alongside a nice 1tb 7200 Drive in addition to my external 4tb Seagate Drive, and could use my newer Lenovo 23 inch monitor with all in one as a dual setup. It's on sale and comes with a 2 year warranty included (Costco), 90 day no questions asked return policy too! The only catch is the ram needs to be upgraded to 16gb, and the seemingly going backwards to 2 cores from 4 I've had. I guess after reading about how a 2 core 4 thread can actually run some stuff faster in an article, paired with my wondering about 2020 Ryzen 3 (2.6-3.5) technology vs 2014 intel i5 (2.9-3.4) technology under use.
I'm not running a home studio For money or doing large projects at this point, so it would be my own humble use, collabs, and possibly moving into doing mixing/mastering someday for a few starter jobs if get to that point of skill and confidence sooner than later.

I'm also on a small budget, so spending big $$$ on a super computer isn't in my realm for now. Hopefully someday when/if needed. Between my two older systems I could pay for the new HP setup at $600.

There's the whole story, lol. Hopefully that makes better sense now. Last thing I want to do is go backwards in performance tho.

Ps, there is an upgraded one above it on sale for around $700-900 with Ryzen 5 four core, but that's out of my budget currently thanks to Covid world.
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

I think $600 could get you a pretty decent "self build" if you're comfortable putting one together yourself?

I'd go:

AMD Ryzen 3200G (in built GPU so you don't need to spend on a discreet GPU - this will be plenty enough as long as you're not a gamer?)
Compatible Ryzen B450 Micro-ATX Motherboard - doesn't need to be all bells and whistles RGB etc.
16GB DDR4 2666 (or faster if your budget allows- maybe 32GB)
256 or 500GB NVME drive for OS and commonly run applications / programs
1TB 7200 spinny drive for storage.
Mid-Tower - don't get one of the tiny towers as they're a nightmare to work with
Windows 10 OS - somewhere like United Software (in the UK) sells the license for £20 for Win 10PRO
Extra case fans to help with case airflow.

A quick UK search (i know you're $$$) yields the following (all Ebuyer.co.uk apart from the OS):-
CPU Ryzen 3 3200G £85
Asrock B450M Motherboard £55
16GB DDR4 2666 Corsair Vengeance (2 x 8GB) £70
500GB NVME Kingston £65
1TB 7200 Drive Seagate Barracude £36
Mid-Tower anything from £20 so personal preference here..
Win 10 PRO £20
Fans £30
PSU 600W Thermatake £55
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Ive decided to hold off on the all in one deal going. It doesn't seem clear enough the right direction without getting it home to test it. Honestly don't want to go thru possibly taking it back at the moment. Maybe I'll wait for the Ryzen 5 16gb one to go on sale in future, or just consider another tower with some better hardware specs for less.

I'm not build my own savvy, but I could have my brother do that for me I guess. Thanks for that idea and info!
Much Appreciated!

Look at how much time I wasted on computer upgrade thoughts instead of focusing on Mixcraft and University videos...

Thanks again ALL!
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

No problem!

I like the idea of all-in-ones but they become pretty obsolete pretty quickly.

Save your $$$ for now and get your bro to build you a beast when you're ready :)
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

ste_p0270 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:22 am No problem!

I like the idea of all-in-ones but they become pretty obsolete pretty quickly.

Save your $$$ for now and get your bro to build you a beast when you're ready :)
You are right about the obsolete thing, I should know because I keep buying reman older imacs and have the same problem, lol. There is something cool about the all in one vibe and space savings tho (inviting vibe). That HP one I came across was only $549 as described above, so for another $50 I could get it to the 16gb it needs. Its a beautiful looking thing, shall I say, better than an imac even..... They do claim it has an easy removable access back plate for easy upgrades to keep current, but I still understand that its not as roomy, and expandable probably as a regular tower. Currently I have very little desk space, so it is appealing, but I'm managing ok so far with setup options and my mini Lenovo tower setting on stand below desk.
fyi too, I found a few cpu vs cpu sites and plugged in what I have and both the Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 offered in the Pretty HP all in ones. Looks like the 3 would maybe be as good as my current i5, probably seem a little snappier with the ssd it has, but other than that the 5 would be hands down better with twice the threads and newer tech to boot.

I'm sure by bro would love to build a project tower for me. We'll see what the near future brings, both on my income situation and the sales of stuff a step or two up from mine.... If I can talk my retired dad into buying mine that is, lol

Anyhow, thanks again for all the input and nice to meet you Mr Ste.P

.... now for another post question :)
ste_p0270

Post by ste_p0270 »

I agree they look very nice and save a ton of space.

Tbh, my tower is quite a decent size (it's a Black Corsair 465X) and i have erm, a few RGB fans going on inside.
Build it from scratch myself a few months ago after struggling with an old Acer Revo (Core i3, 4GB Ram).. the Revo
was a delightful little thing (think of a bag of sugar and you'll get an idea of the size), but it soon became obvious
that it was working much too hard with Mixcraft and my other software like Photoshop and Lightroom.

There are a couple of ways you could add a little zest to your current PC, drop in an SSD and a bit more RAM, wouldn't
be too expensive and would make it feel a bit snappier.

Yes, good to meet you too GregRBand :)
M-Audio BX5 (pair)
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Funny you say that about ram increase and SSD installed.....
Thats what started this whole thing in talking to my Bro, lol. Got me focused on hardware and cost to gain deals.
Then a few days later I saw that HP on sale at Costco with 2 yr warranty and no questions asked returns to at least 90 days. The post here followed.
What a funny guy I can be on such things.

Oh wow, never saw those Revo's before, just googled, looks like a Mac Mini type deal. I thought about one of those a few times in past, but those Mac Mini's dont get the best reviews from Music Software people in use usually. I think they run hot too, if I recall.

Black Corsair also googled, WOW, looks super cool, like a very expensive gaming setup style. Congrats on that!

I will look at maybe just doing the SSD to mine, if it is nice enough to have an avail spot on motherboard for it. Probably not since it is a mini tower.
That with ram up to 32gb sure would sing I'd think. But then add a second monitor cost on top of all that, probably around $200-$300 invested into my mini tower. I'll have to ponder that route more. Until then, I think I'll get all my content off my 2011 iMac and try selling it, see what comes of that. Its a quad core, ssd, 16gb setup, but will only accept a few OSX back and none of the newer Logic updates for over a year or more. So I think its time has come. Thats why the pretty HP style found (24-dp0140z) looked so appealing to me.
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am Can't really go into core uses and such but I can say that your i5 is an older one and will face limitations with any daw. I have an i7-4750 with 12gb ram and get jacked up when opening more than one vsti open with a few plugins. Processors have come a long way in just the last couple of years.

M
Thank you for your post and info. I agree, cpu tech is changing lots every handful of years and mine is now 6 years old cpu (tower is only 2-3 yrs tho). The i5 is still running good tho, I'll give it that. I don't push on it much with small song files, but I'll soon try doing bigger stuff with some heavy plugins more than likely, so we'll see how it goes.

Estonian? Like, from Estonia? Familiar with Ott Tanak by chance?