Hardware question, 2 cores vs 4 cores in Mixcraft 9 design

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GregRBand

Re: Hardware question, 2 cores vs 4 cores in Mixcraft 9 design

Post by GregRBand »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 am Hi,

More cores is generally better. The system requirements for some big plugins recommend at least a quad core computer.

As to why it ran well on your 2 core computer, it's hard to say, because there are too many variables involved, like amount of RAM, the particular plugins you were running, hard drive speed, the sound device, other applications running in the background, and so on.

Greg
Hey Greg! Greg here! :)
Thank you for your continued support here and with Mixcraft over years. Its good to see you still here and active.
I validated what you said at a cpu vs cpu site and it pretty much holds true.
That old 2008 core duo iMac was good on some softwares but not on others compared to my much newer Lenovo i5 setup. I think it was Reason and Studio One that seemed to run better on it, but lots has changed in both of those programs over the past 5 years, so I'll bet it wouldn't do so good nowadays with them. The PC on the other hand does just fine with them now. Must be efficiency mods to updates along the way... Assuming same has happened inside Mixcraft along the way too!
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Mark Bliss wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:05 am It may work fine. Or it may not be "enough"
This would depend on your specific use.

If I were shopping for a system at this point I would strongly prefer a quad core at minimum. And I would also shy away from the "all in one" format for this application, as mentioned. They are really cool for common desktop use. But inflexible and less desirable for the needs of this application. I have also heard they run hot when run hard, which could present a reliability problem.
But still, as described- needs vary. A lot. Really hard to give better advice.
Hey Mark! Thank you for your spot on info advice. I think that sale one I was considering may have felt great for awhile bcuz new and pretty, but the 2 core probably just wouldn't cut it for any kind of song project strain for long.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

GregRBand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:38 am Estonian? Like, from Estonia? Familiar with Ott Tanak by chance?
Hah! Not much into Motorsports but when an Esto becomes renowned, we all know! LOL

M
GregRBand

Post by GregRBand »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 am
GregRBand wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:38 am Estonian? Like, from Estonia? Familiar with Ott Tanak by chance?
Hah! Not much into Motorsports but when an Esto becomes renowned, we all know! LOL

M
Lol, that's cool. Thought I'd throw it out there. He is fast for sure!