Help - Mixcraft won't "learn midi" with my Zoom R8

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

fatherflot

Help - Mixcraft won't "learn midi" with my Zoom R8

Post by fatherflot »

I am using the new Mixcraft 9 pro studio with a Zoom R8 interface as my midi controller. It works fine for track sliders and master volume.

However, I have a certain set of vst plugins that I use for radio dj mic settings. One of these is the TB Multi FX. I use it for slapback delay and I want to be able to control the Feedback with a slider, so I can hit the delay feedback hard momentarily like the old time DJ's did to get that crazy runaway echo sound just for a bit before bringing it back under control.

So I keep following directions for "midi learn" with the plugin and nothing happens. I select the parameter "feedback" then click "learn" and then move the slider I want to learn the command on my Zoom R8, but nothing happens. It doesn't assign a CC channel.

Keep in mind that R8 is still working as a midi controller on the track volume slider and master volume slider. Why won't it talk to Mixcraft for this straightforward assignment?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rolling Estonian

Re: Help - Mixcraft won't "learn midi" with my Zoom R8

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Just tested it with my controller and it works even if the slider or knob is in use with Mixcraft. Does the said slider have a cc# assigned to it, do you use it with anything else?

M
fatherflot

Post by fatherflot »

Thanks for the response. I'm a little new at this, so please bear with me.

I don't know where to check how the R8 is being assigned CC numbers.

When I try to do the "midi learn" thing. No CC # comes up. I've tried to manually go through a large number of those CC numbers, but nothing seems to create the connection.

I have the R8 configured as a Mackie device. I think that's correct. Do I need to dive in deeper to edit CC assignments? If so, I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks again.
Rolling Estonian

I was thinking that it was more of a controller than recorder, interface, sampler etc. Makie has a different protocol than straight cc data, some have an option where you can select which protocol you'd like to use, Korg nanokontroller for instance, but you won't be able to assign midi to something thats not a midi controller. If the R8 had editing software I'd check that out otherwise I think your only option will be to use the Mackie control that MC has.

M
fatherflot

Post by fatherflot »

Thanks. Could you explain what you mean by: "use the Mackie control that MC has"? How would I use this to create the assignment that I'm seeking?
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Just a guess, but I “think” you may need to open the Zoom R8 GUI, and then manually use midi learn from there.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

When you go into MC settings go to Control Surfaces, there's a dropdown with all the supported controllers, there's 2 for Mackie. Remember when you make changes you'll probably have to close and reopen MC.

M
fatherflot

Post by fatherflot »

Thanks. I've tried both Mackie settings repeatedly and it doesn't make a difference.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

I use to have a Zoom R16. These Zoom recorders are not midi controllers, they use the Mackie protocol as a control surface. Mackie protocol and midi are two different things.
fatherflot

Post by fatherflot »

GovernmentMule wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:15 pm I use to have a Zoom R16. These Zoom recorders are not midi controllers, they use the Mackie protocol as a control surface. Mackie protocol and midi are two different things.
This is very helpful, thanks. I was thinking that my Zoom R8 was serving as a midi controller when it was controlling track and master volume.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and compact unit that IS in fact a midi controller?
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

[/quote]

This is very helpful, thanks. I was thinking that my Zoom R8 was serving as a midi controller when it was controlling track and master volume.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and compact unit that IS in fact a midi controller?
[/quote]

Depends on what you are looking to do with it and what is expensive. If you are just wanting to control plugins and stuff like that, this has a lot of knobs and sliders for cheap.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... al-midimix

I do not know the Akai brand very good but I started out using a Novation Launch Control which is discontinued but here is it's big brother.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... leton-live

Do you play the piano? There is all types of midi controllers that have Keyboards included. Good luck.
fatherflot

Post by fatherflot »

Anyone here using the Akai Professional MPK Mini MKI with Mixcraft?
jlouvar

Re: Help - Mixcraft won't "learn midi" with my Zoom R

Post by jlouvar »

fatherflot wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:20 am Anyone here using the Akai Professional MPK Mini MKI with Mixcraft?
I have one... But I don’t use it much anymore since I upgraded to the Akai MPK249 Keyboard Controller.

It’s a nice little surface controller that works good with MIxcraft.. However it has mini keys instead of full size keys and the action is stiff compared to the Akai MPK249.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

I use the Korg Nanokontrol2 and the Akai LPD8, both work great and serve my minimalist needs.

M