Copying tracks/combining 2 projects?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Crowley1661

Copying tracks/combining 2 projects?

Post by Crowley1661 »

I saw an old thread from a decade ago, discussing how to combine projects or to copy/paste tracks/instruments between projects. The advice they gave does that, but not quite.

My situation is this: due to my own incessant tweaking and testing, I've ended up with two completely different projects for the same song, with completely different sets of SXF for each track. It would be a real pain to have to do all that from scratch, and I don't want to clutter my collection of presets even further.

So what I need to do is simply copy/paste the tracks of one project into the other, COMPLETE WITH all the effects and the settings of each.

Currently, all I can copy/paste is the sound clips themselves without any of the individual track settings.
TrevsAudio

Re: Copying tracks/combining 2 projects?

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi!
One way to do it would be: Go to File>Mix Down To Stems. Click 'Check None' and then select the track(s) you want to mix down. Choose your format and mix down location.
These files can be imported into another session as separate track(s).
Hope this helps.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Crowley1661

Post by Crowley1661 »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:12 pm Hope this helps.
That has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

I asked for a way to copy/paste tracks and their existing fx settings + sound clips into another project, not create unnecessary clutter of replicate files.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Go into one project and make presets for your effects settings. Then when you transfer your audio clips to your other project you add your effects and use the preset you made. I do not think there is any other way to do it.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Crowley1661 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 pm
trevlyns wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:12 pm Hope this helps.
That has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

I asked for a way to copy/paste tracks and their existing fx settings + sound clips into another project, not create unnecessary clutter of replicate files.
Sorry I tried to help - I'll be more careful next time :mrgreen:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could also Save As a Mixcraft template file.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Crowley1661

Post by Crowley1661 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:21 pm Hi,

You could also Save As a Mixcraft template file.

Greg
And what is a MX8 template file?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

GovernmentMule wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 am Go into one project and make presets for your effects settings. Then when you transfer your audio clips to your other project you add your effects and use the preset you made. I do not think there is any other way to do it.
This is the only way to do it, but since you said you don't want to add to your presets yo'ure probably out of luck. You could always delete the presets afterwards if it bothers you that much. If you do go down this route, one setting that won't be saved is the faders - you'll have to write them down and enter them manually.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Crowley1661 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 pm And what is a MX8 template file?
It saves the settings of a project, but not the content, so you can start with a blank slate and your favorite settings. (Page 191 of the Mixcraft 8 help file).

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

Crowley1661 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am I saw an old thread from a decade ago, discussing how to combine projects or to copy/paste tracks/instruments between projects. The advice they gave does that, but not quite.

My situation is this: due to my own incessant tweaking and testing, I've ended up with two completely different projects for the same song, with completely different sets of SXF for each track. It would be a real pain to have to do all that from scratch, and I don't want to clutter my collection of presets even further.

So what I need to do is simply copy/paste the tracks of one project into the other, COMPLETE WITH all the effects and the settings of each.

Currently, all I can copy/paste is the sound clips themselves without any of the individual track settings.
I understand your frustration. In other DAWs you can select tracks and migrate them into a project retaining their fader settings, sends, etc. Not so here. Hope the template fix works for you!