32 bit plugins preventing loading of projects in 64 bit Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SethSkoda

32 bit plugins preventing loading of projects in 64 bit Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Post by SethSkoda »

So, when I use a 32 bit plugin, it doesn't cause any issues besides a tiny bit of lag when saving. But when I use automation on at least one parameter on so much as one instance of a 32 bit plugin, this doesn't cause problems until later. Later, I'll find out that I have a project that loads to 100%, then drops back to zero indefinitely with a (Not Responding) in the top left of the window. It can do this an infinite number of times until something happens that I mention below. I can safely say that this is not an issue with my machine, as I'm running an octacore (1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.3GHz, per core) with 32GB of RAM. And considering that it's an issue that I can replicate (by using automation as mentioned above), I believe this comes down to Mixcraft's coding, or at least some kind of loading preference that causes a glitch.
Eventually, I do breakthrough, but at the cost of the instance of above-mentioned 32 bit plugin with automation not loading. This erases all of the automation.
So, is there some kind of way to work around this frustrating (and time wasting) glitch?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Re: 32 bit plugins preventing loading of projects in 64 bit Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft 9.0 build 460? Which 32-bit plugin?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
SethSkoda

Re: 32 bit plugins preventing loading of projects in 64 bit Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio

Post by SethSkoda »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:39 pm Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft 9.0 build 460? Which 32-bit plugin?

Greg
I haven't upgraded to 9 yet, though I intend to when the money is right :)
I'm currently still on 8 Pro Studio, which has been fantastic. I recently upgraded to a much more powerful laptop to get more power for high end plugins I haven't been able to use. I decided to also go for the 64 bit build to open up more RAM for said plugins. That's where I've been running into issues, as some plugins (both free and paid) are only available in 32-bit VST formats. I'm hoping to find a workaround for this loading glitch.
Long time user, by the way; Mixcraft 4, October 2009 :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using v8.1 build 418?

Which plugin causes the problem? Nobody else has reported a problem like this, as far as I know.

Greg
SethSkoda

Post by SethSkoda »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:57 pm Hi,

Are you using v8.1 build 418?
Yes, 64 bit
Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:57 pm Which plugin causes the problem?
It's a plugin called Super PSG: http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabsuperpsg.html
It's an emulation of the 8-bit SN76489 sound chip.
Keep in mind that it only causes a problem with loading if I use automation on at least one parameter and save.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:57 pm Nobody else has reported a problem like this, as far as I know.
I couldn't find anything about it, and I found it strange (and frustrating).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So, it's just that one particular 32-bit plugin, correct?

Automation on an automation lane causes the problem? Any old automation, or a particular kind of automation?

Greg
SethSkoda

Post by SethSkoda »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 pm Hi,
So, it's just that one particular 32-bit plugin, correct?
[\quote]

To be honest, it's the only 32 bit plugin with which I use automation.
Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 pm Automation on an automation lane causes the problem? Any old automation, or a particular kind of automation?
Only if it's a parameter of the plugin. Volume and panning automation (which do not tie directly to the plugin) do not cause this problem.

Also, I found that the only way to break this glitch is to try to load said project in two instances of Mixcraft at about the same time. The first one will freeze up as mentioned in the opening post. The second one will simply say that the plugin could not be loaded, but then all tracks that used said plugin will be left without a virtual instrument. Automation will also be gone, as stated in the OP.

Edit: I'm screwing up the quotes... crap
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So, it's only happening with this one plugin as far as you know. Can you get it to happen with any other 32-bit plugin?

It doesn't look like there's a demo version of that plugin.

Greg
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

From their FAQs:
"Can I run these plugins in my 64bit DAW?
Since 2019 every new product I am putting out are and will be 64bit and PC/Mac compatible.
They run fine on 64bit systems but my older ones run natively only in 32bit host."

I wonder if they are using a wrapper. If so, it's double wrapped in MC.
Also, it's made with Synthedit.?.? :idea:
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface