Mixing acoustic guitar

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jwarv

Mixing acoustic guitar

Post by jwarv »

Fellow Mixcrafters,

I just recorded two separate, mono acoustic tracks of the same riff and panned one hard left and the other hard right. For a spread effect.

Is there a way that I can mix them into one stereo track without muting all the other tracks and rendering them down with all the fx applied? Normally I would un-check everything to make it dry and them pop the newly mixed acoustic track into the original track and then turn back on all the fx. I already tried mixing them as a new audio track, but it only created 2 new separate stereo tracks, not together.

What I want is sort of like a merge, but of two different tracks into one stereo track.

Did that make any sense? And am I missing some simple component hence proof that I'm getting old? :?
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixing acoustic guitar

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, no, yes, yes and no.
I think. :D

Any confusion is probably rooted in terminology. Gotta watch "mix" "render" etc.

Anyway, based on my interpretation of your question, I am going to say no.
You cant render or "bounce" the two tracks into one stereo track within the program.
You would need to solo the two tracks and render or "mix down" to a new track and import that new track.
The decision to mix down with or without any effects or processing would be up to you.

Keep in mind that once mixed down into one stereo track, you have less options later, for example if you wanted to pull the panning in a little. And at the same time one might want to consider m/s processing, and other potential mixing options.
There are many choices.

One last thought, based on my experience.
You can pan and create a stereo field, and do all kinds of tricks that sound great by themselves, but they may sound phasey or muddy in the context of a full mix.
Dont overdo it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

You can mix down the two tracks into one Audio file then import that back into your project. If you just mute any other tracks you have you can mix down to a wav file easy. :D
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Thanks guys. I pretty much do that. I was just looking for an easier way. It would be nice to have a merge feature for tracks in addition to clips.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
You could put the two tracks into a submix track. This would allow you to change your panning if you wanted to bring the sound in a little. You can also put your plug-in effects on the submix track to free up some CPU resources. You could still use plug-ins on the original guitar tracks if you wanted different effects per track.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I just wanted to say that threads like this are gems and one of the reasons why I love this forum, Acoustica and recording in general. An original question and quick, helpful and cheerful replies.

And Greg gets to enjoy his 2nd
cup of coffee in his jammies.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Drdish007 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm Hi,
You could put the two tracks into a submix track. This would allow you to change your panning if you wanted to bring the sound in a little. You can also put your plug-in effects on the submix track to free up some CPU resources. You could still use plug-ins on the original guitar tracks if you wanted different effects per track.

- Myran
Submix! I forgot all about that. I have them linked, but that doesn't treat them as one for everything. Yes, thank you!

And yes, this forum is great. Very helpful.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Glad I could help. I use submix tracks a lot. Works great with drum kits. It allows me to get a nice drum mix that I can control with one volume faced to balance with the rest of instruments.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1