Master track isn't visible

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Kirk

Master track isn't visible

Post by Kirk »

I'm about to master my first project. When I import my mixed-down wav file back into Mixcraft for mastering, it doesn't show up on the master bus. Instead, it goes into the audio track above. Why not the master track? Can I do the mastering without it showing up there? I want to add Fx, do some volume automation, etc. This is puzzling. Do I have to change my default settings or something? I'm using Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio, 64 bit, build 458. Thanks! ~Kirk
Mark Bliss

Re: Master track isn't visible

Post by Mark Bliss »

You cant put audio into the master track. Put the mixed down track into an audio track.

And consider updating to the current build. There are some bug fixes.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Thanks for the reply, Mark. So, with the mixed-down track imported back into an audio file (I've gotten that far, and I'm using a new Mixcraft project for mastering), I can use the master track for my final steps to complete the project?

Does any (stereo) wave form ever show up in the master track? That's what it looks like it's there for.

~Kirk
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
The master track is the stereo out of a project. You can add plug-ins to the master track to do final mastering. You don't have to mix down and reload the audio.
Without mixing down your tracks, you can make adjustments to the mix of your tracks while mastering if needed.
That is what I do.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Thanks Myron. It's easier than I thought.

O.K. I'm clear on adding master plug-ins. For volume automation, do I just enter the points, slopes, curves, etc. on the master track bar?

I really appreciate your timely help!

~KIrk
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think calling it a "master track" misleads a lot of people.
As Myran points out, it is simply the main bus, also sometimes called the "stereo bus" or "two bus" that all other tracks are summed to.

As to how to use it, that would vary by user preference. I dont feel there is any one "correct" set of methods. But if its just one song, it is IMO really just an extension of mixing. To me, "mastering" is usually a set of songs to create an EP, LP, CD, or some kind of playlist, where you set the order, spacing or gaps between, perhaps fade in/out automation and eq and level of each so they sound like they belong together etc.
But in todays streaming world, we often end up focused on the single.
And the decision whether to place processing on the master track of an open mix or to mix down then master..... Neither is wrong. another personal preference.
Some people suggest involving a separate set of ears.

Advising on what to do or how to do anything specific would really require an understanding of intent. What you are trying to do. And ten different people are probably going to provide ten different methods.

Your last question asked about volume automation.
The decision would, as I described above, depend on just what you are trying to achieve. The master bus effects all tracks if thats what you want.
For me, volume automation is usually part of mixing the track, with the exception of occasionally fading in or out if necessary. Usually I am going to be doing that on the track itself, not the master bus. There have been exceptions.

Many people focus on the loudness component in their description of "mastering" yet some people get most of that within the mix, others as a final step. I personally would warn that doing too much of it as a final step often has a negative effect on your mix, and generally warn against focusing on that too much until one gains experience.

Hope that helps?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

That's very helpful. Thanks so much!

~Kirk
Kirk

Static and crackling noise

Post by Kirk »

Finalizing my first mix and adding master Fx went well, but I did encounter one unexpected thing. I got some crackling and static when I was working with those Fx, even though my gain staging was well under control and I had plenty of headroom. In the end, it didn't affect the quality of the final mix-down, but it had me concerned that something was going really wrong.

Any ideas what would bring on the crackling and static noise? It wasn't related to the EQ, but did seem associated with the final compression and limiter. As always, thanks for your help. Mixcraft has worked so well throughout this first project, and I really enjoy the new features of Version 9. ~Kirk
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

"Crackling and static" is a little hard to evaluate based on a description isnt it? :?

"Crackling" is probably most often "buffering"
So the first thing to try in evaluating that is to adjust your buffers and see if the playback doesnt smooth out. Keep in mind that buffer settings for low latency recording arent necessary when not recording.
Try that as a test.

"Static" could be the same as above, or could be something else. You say it is only on playback and isnt rendered into the mix down, so again, I'd start with the buffer setting.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kirk

Saving project files correctly

Post by Kirk »

My project files usually have a Mixcraft folder icon to the left of the project name, and are classified as 'File Folder' under 'Type'. If I look under 'Properties' I can see that the large file size is all there (several GB). Now, though, they're showing up as 'Mixcraft 9 Project file' and only have a very small file size (a few hundred KB). It looks like it's not the full file, and yet I can open the project and it's all there.

Can you help me get back to the point where the saved file folders show the Mixcraft icon the way they normally should? It's like I must have accidentally changed how my projects are being saved, and it makes me wonder if I'm going to lose some audio. Thanks. ~Kirk
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

What are you recording?

Note there is a difference between a project file and a project folder.
A project file contains no audio. Small file size.
Any recorded audio should be in a project folder along with the project file. Size would vary depending on content of course.
Imported audio files need to be saved to the folder. If you have them scattered about, you risk loss. or at minimum, chaos.

Its hard to be more helpful without more info about what you are doing specifically.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

O.K. That's helpful to know. I'm recording the normal stuff: DI guitar, vocals, etc. This is my second MC project, and the recording is going fine, but this time around, for some reason, my individual audio files started showing up outside of my project folder. Everything was there, but just not inside the folder. I just moved the audio files back in, along with the project file. And also the 'folder-icon' file that makes the little MC icon by the project name. I just didn't understand why the files would showing up outside of the project folder. I'll keep monitoring this, but in the meantime I know where things belong, so thanks. It's great to have this support when little things like this get confusing! ~Kirk
MikaB

Post by MikaB »

This is really useful information about the project file/folder thing.

Because: if you use Save As..., as I have been doing, you keep saving all your recordings in the original folder!

I think there should be an option where "Save As..." actually creates a proper project folder, because it does not at the moment.

I have 30 project files, created by saving a file "as" something else and all the recordings are somewhere else (in the original folder).

If you guys hadn't been talking about this exact problem, I would not have known what was going on...
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi @Kirk and @Mika

I work a little different than some, and create my own project folders at the start. I have never lost a file or content this way so far...
And I highly recommend using the default location of "Documents/Mixcraft projects/" to keep things tidy.

Make sure your recording tab setting is still set to that^^^ original default setting.

The first time you save, it should automatically create a folder, and give you the option to name it. (As stated, I have already done this before hand. OCD perhaps.) *If you don't name them, you will gather a collection of unidentified folders. (Project 1, project 2) etc. that will be hard to sort out later.

"Save as" gives you the opportunity to rename the project file (I use this for saving versions as I progress through a project) and the opportunity to set a location. (Again, my project folder. If you put it somewhere else, the recordings etc. "assets" are not moved with it.)

You also have the option of using the "copy project files to" to save the existing project and all the currently used assets into a folder of your choice and name. I usually use this for archiving project copies, but it can also help if you have scattered files...
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
MikaB

Post by MikaB »

Hi @Mark,

Yes, great point about "Copy project files"!

I spent a little time today moving the files back into the right folders by creating new folders and using this feature.

Now everything is tidy again. And I also created a Mixcraft template file for my new projects so this will always force the creation of a proper folder and not the "just a file" thing.

Happy tracking!

Mika
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.