'East-West' HOLLYWOOD CHOIRS Diamond - in Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

'East-West' HOLLYWOOD CHOIRS Diamond - in Mixcraft?

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Downloaded this software for backing vocals.

It plays as a Midi keyboard VST in Mixcraft 8, but MC8 will not allow me to record any midi with it, when you stop the recording, the red recording line in MC simply vanishes, you are left with an empty virtual track.

The vst window for EW will not fully open in MC & the controls are inert, frozen; the sound is being generated from the software independent of the vst control panel. Am using a midi keyboard.

Now Microsoft is starting to issue me Cloud warnings, telling me my Cloud storage is used up. But I don't use Cloud - it's even throwing red x marks at Mixcraft 8! - you click on these x marks & they tell you to 'get more space'. This is a con, I have enough space on my pc for Hollywood Choirs - I checked before I made the purchase. Why is Microsoft trying to get me to purchase virtual storage I don't need :?:

Advice please.

Thanks
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
kr236rk

Re: 'East-West' HOLLYWOOD CHOIRS Diamond - in Mixcraft?

Post by kr236rk »

Currently I have 3.37 TB SSD free space on my pc - why do I need more space from Microsoft Cloud please?

There is now a permanent red x against Mixcraft8 since I downloaded EW Hollywood Choirs - not very happy about this.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Two separate issues, I think? I don't use Microsoft cloud services, but those messages are independent of Mixcraft (I Think)

Waiting for bigger minds on the EW recording issue.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Agree.

So why should I have to put up with a red warning sign against a software - Mixcraft - which does not require Microsoft Cloud please?
Ric

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Have you purchased Choirs as a standalone or as part of the ComposerCloud/X?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:54 am Have you purchased Choirs as a standalone or as part of the ComposerCloud/X?
THanks, wasn't given that option - but Thomann, who I purchased it from, says "Stand Alone: Yes" and "Can be synchronised to a DAW", they say nothing whatsoever about Microsoft Cloud.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/eastwest_holl ... iamond.htm
Ric

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Ok. It's all very strange? I've got the full ComposerCloud Gold package which is insane and a bit OTT but have never had that issue. All my EastWest libraries are installed on a separate SSD which is a good job cause my laptop died last month. :x

Did you install Play 6 and install the Choirs library through the Installation Centre? I don't understand why it is asking for cloud space, like you say if everything has been downloaded/installed correctly?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:54 am Ok. It's all very strange? I've got the full ComposerCloud Gold package which is insane and a bit OTT but have never had that issue. All my EastWest libraries are installed on a separate SSD which is a good job cause my laptop died last month. :x

Did you install Play 6 and install the Choirs library through the Installation Centre? I don't understand why it is asking for cloud space, like you say if everything has been downloaded/installed correctly?
Thanks - the fog is starting to lift but it is revealing a grisly picture.

It looks like Cloud seized my download, & is now asking me to pay up front for extra storage - that is what the red x warnings are all about - they've even smacked one beside Mixcraft.

I don't use Cloud - I have never used virtual storage.

I selected my C drive to store EW on, Cloud somehow diverted the download to itself, I do not know how.

Am now trying to re-download the software to hard drive - I have a back-up drive, I will try that.
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Did get a support email from EW but it was impossible to follow because they used quite a lot of tech-speak like 'root folders' & so forth.

So I manually copied C-drive files to E drive backup.

Deleted C-drive files

Red x's started to disappear - the C-drive files were 'online files' - duplicated to OneDrive. I did not do this.

Went into OneDrive & deleted everything. OneDrive had even duplicated a copy of MC8.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restarted the EW software from E-drive, it works. As a 'standalone' it works.

But EW will not work through Mixcraft, even though I added it to the VST folder. EW windows open but remain frozen, no RAM activity or anything.

Any ideas please?

Ric

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I'm not a computer expert but if you did a straight copy of files from the C drive to your E drive, won't that create some registry issues? Your programs may be pointing to files that aren't there? I could be mistaken?

Have you also checked your iLok account? I had emails from EastWest and iLok this evening saying they had reset my activation for when I eventually re-install ComposerCloud on my new PC. But you say it works as a standalone so that can't be an issue I guess.

You should post some screenshots and maybe someone will be able to pinpoint your specific problem.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You should definitely try loading from your boot drive, running software from other drives can be an issue.

M
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:56 pm I'm not a computer expert but if you did a straight copy of files from the C drive to your E drive, won't that create some registry issues? Your programs may be pointing to files that aren't there? I could be mistaken?

Have you also checked your iLok account? I had emails from EastWest and iLok this evening saying they had reset my activation for when I eventually re-install ComposerCloud on my new PC. But you say it works as a standalone so that can't be an issue I guess.

You should post some screenshots and maybe someone will be able to pinpoint your specific problem.
Will do - thanks - you're probably right that Mixcraft is searching for files which have changed location.

My 'brilliant plan' was to have all of East-West on the C drive so that all components & libraries would be easily findable. Microsoft scuppered that. Because Microsoft somehow found a way to duplicate everything on my C drive - send it all to the Cloud - including desktop items like Mixcraft - I had to delete all those files, after moving them to my backup SSD.

At least I now have sole ownership of the software I purchased from the East-West people, & am receiving no more warnings from Microsoft to purchase more Cloud space.

I don't use Cloud, I have never used Cloud.

East-West is working as a midi keyboard entity, I am very pleased with that.

Tried a similar 'Kontact' software several years ago - it didn't go beyond the experimental stage with me. This is much better. If I can ever get it working in Mixcraft that will be a boon, but I can certainly use it as it is.
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:57 am You should definitely try loading from your boot drive, running software from other drives can be an issue.

M
Very much doubt I will put East-West on the boot drive after my experience with Microsoft Cloud, thanks.
Ric

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

My editorial: unfortunately under the guise of protecting your data, Microsoft loves nothing more than to collect and categorize all of your data for its own business reasons and maybe some nefarious control reasons. If you accept and don't pay attention to the installation defaults of Windows 10 or you buy a computer already setup with Windows 10, the defaults of OneDrive are to backup just about everything on your computer to microsoft cloud servers (as well as deeply embedding monitoring software and settings).

The following guide should help you change the OneDrive settings:

https://www.techbout.com/disable-auto-s ... s-10-5507/
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Many thanks,

Will have a look at that link - Microsoft updated my 10 during the EW download. I stopped it, but the download hung - because of Microsoft? Anyway, there was nothing else to do but restart. That got the download going again, but now the red x's started to appear - Microsoft was duplicating everything.

I cleared out the OneDrive folder, deleted everything.

Will go back there periodically & check nothing else of mine appears there.
Ric