Using my Roland AX-7 keytar as a midi controller

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

owechasmi

Using my Roland AX-7 keytar as a midi controller

Post by owechasmi »

I own a Roland AX-7 keytar that is supposedly also able to be used as a midi controller. I have it plugged into my computer through my audio interface (steinberg UR22mk-II) but mixcraft 9 wont detect it at all. I'm thinking maybe it's too old of a device or maybe can't be used in the way I want to use it. Any help is welcome.
JonInc

Re: Using my Roland AX-7 keytar as a midi controller

Post by JonInc »

Some things to look at:

- Ensure you have the latest firmware/software/drivers for the keyboard installed.

- Use AC power for the keytar. Especially important if you're on a laptop.

- I'm assuming the UR22Mk2 and keytar are both connected to PC via USB-cable. If you are using USB3 (blue inner strip), try USB2 (black inner strip) on all connections.

- If it's still not recognized, try MIDI cable instead of USB between keyboard and UR22Mk2. (Connect keyboard's MIDI OUT to UR22mk2's MIDI IN). This fix usually works for "outdated" keyboards as it ignores the drivers and relies on MIDI spec.
owechasmi

Post by owechasmi »

I checked Roland's website, they only even have software and drivers for their newer keytars (the AX-edge and AX-synth). The keytar itself is powered on batteries- I checked using the AC adapter and nothing changed. Is is the case that since mixcraft doesn't recognize it, I can't use it as a midi controller, or am I not right on this? As for the cables, I'm using the usb cable provided with the UR22Mk2 which is usb2.0 with the black inner strip (from type B to type A), and the keytar was always plugged in to the audio interface using a MIDI cable.

I know that the keytar works separately, because it works perfectly when I plug it in to my old korg 01/wfd, so that's what was pointing me in the direction of it being too old for mixcraft to recognize as a distinct midi controller.
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

owechasmi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:13 pm ... Is is the case that since mixcraft doesn't recognize it, I can't use it as a midi controller, or am I not right on this? ...
That's correct. Still troubleshooting...

Since you're using the MIDI interface on the UR22mk2, make sure the ur22mk2 firmware/drivers are the latest from Steinberg's site.

When powering up, Keytar should be powered on and connected BEFORE the PC is powered up. (If the Keytar is already connected, just try a restart on the PC).

If still no luck, wouldn't hurt to try starting MC with "Run as Administrator".