POWER USAGE WINDOWS 10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

warhenk@yahoo.com

POWER USAGE WINDOWS 10

Post by warhenk@yahoo.com »

Hi gang, I could really use some help. I have a newer Dell 64-bit i9 PC running Windows 10- plenty of power all around. I occasionally experience a sudden audio 'glitch' where I hear static on playback, and playback stalls momentarily. According to both Mixcraft 9 and Windows, the CPU and System use quotes are very low percentages (<5%) but the Task Manager Power Usage often goes from Moderate to High (never low), and the Power Usage Trend quote will go to Very High. In the Task Manager's details, Priority is High for Mixcraft9.exe, and Affinity is set to all processors. Why this power suck? I see no other spikes from other programs during these periods. The VSTs also appear in the T.M. and they're always running 'low.' My relatively limited computer hardware knowledge tells me that it's nothing to do with the audio interface or its buffer setting, correct? It's a power issue, right? Hope someone has some great ideas for me. Thanks a lot!
Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller - woodwindist/composer/producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion™
www.spontaneousgroovincombustion.com
"She is all that I have left and music is her name"
JonInc

Re: POWER USAGE WINDOWS 10

Post by JonInc »

PC-optimization-guide-for-windows-10:

(In particular, look at step 4 - Power & Disk Optimization)

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/
warhenk@yahoo.com

Thank you JonInc, I've set everything as Sweetwater suggested, thanks for that. We'll see how it goes!
Best, Warren

warhenk@yahoo.com

OK, this is driving me nuts. I followed everything JonInc pointed me to at Sweetwater's PC optimization suggestions. I'm still getting Mixcraft hiccups- no static, just momentary freezes of playback. I've closed Chrome, Skype, really everything. I uninstalled McAfee and went back to Defender. There are no backups running nor any other security programs. I am still seeing a 'Very High' Power Usage Trend from Mixcraft in Task Manager though the actual usage hasn't gone past Moderate. I can't qualify this as the cause of the hiccups, however. Never had this issue with the old PC. Should I reinstall MixCraft? I am using the old, 32-bit Classic plugins by Kjaerhus, which I like very much- they're usage reads Very Low, but I wanted to mention that.
Best, Warren

JonInc

Post by JonInc »

warhenk@yahoo.com wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:42 am ... I am using the old, 32-bit Classic plugins by Kjaerhus, which I like very much- they're usage reads Very Low, but I wanted to mention that.
That could be it. The older the plugin, the more likely it can cause problems. Troubleshoot without those plugins. Or start a new project, or even one of the demos, and play it on a loop and see what happens.
warhenk@yahoo.com

Thanks Jon. It's occurred to me that during the day, my cursor will freeze up for a few seconds in other apps, so I've got to consider that there's something going on in the background. I have the Task Manager open on my second monitor and I'm monitoring it for clues.
Best, Warren

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

If people checked their task manager more often they'd notice W10 doing stuff behind the scenes, even if you have it set not to, more often than most know about. There's usually no rhyme or reason for the timing either, it'll just happen and your usage will peak for a few seconds. Having said that, not sure if it could be the issue or related, the old plug probably is the culprit.

M
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

If you haven't already, press CTL-ALT-DEL - click Task Manager - Startup tab. You will see a list of all tasks running at startup.

Disable every task you don't recognize (Be aggressive. None of these are system-critical, and can be easily re-enabled). Restart your system.
warhenk@yahoo.com

Guys,
I'm about at my wits end. I have followed every good bit of advice on this thread and the articles where you've pointed me. I do not know what the heck is going on. I ran the identical audio setup (MC9, Focusrite Scarlett) with no issues on the 64-bit Windows 10 machine I handed down to my wife, for this i9 beast. But the audio glitches continue. I reinstalled MixCraft from the ground up today, also the Focusrite driver, and have, again, eliminated all non-essentials and carefully regulated power. The Scarlett is plugged into an AC-powered Hub. Let me also say that the tune is in its beginning stages and we're only talking about 5 audio tracks, and another 3 combined in a submix, and basic effects (reverb and delay) in 2 effects busses. I do not think the 32-bit plugins are an issue. Acoustica says they're automatically bridged to 64-bit. Also, it does not seem to make a difference to the Task Manager's power use quotes.

I was going along fine for quite some time, when while doing something innocuous, there was again, a moment of garbled static before the audio drops out, and though MC appears to keep playing, the sound is gone, the cursor does not advance (though I believe the numerical time readout continues), and the playback can not be stopped. A reboot of MC isn't required, but a reload of the project is. I would be extremely grateful for a Windows-based pro recordist with very good understanding of hardware/software who can help trace this down. I can't nail it. Thank you again!
Best, Warren

freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Crap shots in the dark:

Are you getting the glitches on playback alone? In preferences switch your playback device to anything else - say your pc's speaker - just to test if you still get the glitches.
warhenk@yahoo.com

Good idea, freightgod. So far, only during playback, hasn't happened during recording yet.
Best, Warren

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Simple but, is your focusrite set as your default sound device and Windows is set up properly? Making sure the bit, baud and sample rate are the same ie 24bit, 48000 for both playback and recording.

M
warhenk@yahoo.com

Hi Rolling Estonian, I appreciate it. 'Windoze' is good. The interface is indeed default. The Focusrite doesn't seem to support 48K but 44100 and 24-bit is set in both Windows and the audio interface controls. I took a chance and also unchecked 'Allow apps to take excl. control of this device,' and 'Give exclusive mode apps priority' in the Windows speaker properties.

I also disabled all of other audio drivers just in case!

This PC has:

Intel Display Audio
NVIDIA Hi-Def Audio
NVDIA Virtual Audio Device WDM)
Realtek Audio

:evil:

Other than a generic USB mic that I use as a comm device, the only active input/output audio device now is the Focusrite Scareltt 2i2 external card. If it happens again, I will switch to Realtek as freightgod suggested. That should point the finger if there's something up with the 2i2. I'll keep you posted!
Best, Warren

grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

Hi,
Sorry if this has been posted as a suggestion before but from my read through I couldn't see it being mentioned.
OP you said that your A.I was connected to your machine through an A.C powered Hub, have you tried hooking up the 2i2 to the computer directly? By that I mean bypassing the USB Hub and connecting straight to a USB port on the Tower.
I am only suggesting this as I used to have a similar issue when I first started out recording many years back with one of the early Scarlett 2i2s, however I usually only got said problems when the computer had been put into sleep mode and then awoken again if that makes any sense.
Also, I assume you are using ASIO mode with the Focusrite Driver?

Hopefully you will find a solution shortly :?
grumpysnake
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
warhenk@yahoo.com

Thanks grumpysnake. Yes it's been tried both ways and we've made some more adjustments but I've not had a chance to test it again. I'll keep everyone posted!
Best, Warren