Curved automation not duplicating

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

silvdm03

Curved automation not duplicating

Post by silvdm03 »

Hello,
I absolutely love all of the useful updates and features of Mixcraft 9, however I have experienced a number of bugs in my time using it that I have decided to report with the hopes of making this product the best it can be.

Issue: Automation lanes with curved parameters are not preserving curvature when duplicated.

Steps to replicate:
1. Create a brand new project file.
2. Add an audio track.
3. Create a curvature of the Track Volume.
4. Duplicate track.

Result: Duplicated track does not preserve automation curvature.
DuplicateCurvedAutomation.PNG
DuplicateCurvedAutomation.PNG (20.43 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

Product Info:
Mixcraft 9.0 Recording Studio 64-bit built Build 462
Windows 10

Hopefully, you are already aware of this issue and it is being worked on for a future update.

Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide or if there is a better place to submit bugs.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Curved automation not duplicating

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Wow, good catch! Thank you for reporting this issue. I'll file a bug report so that this can be addressed in a future update.

You can submit an Acoustica Support Request to report bugs.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
silvdm03

Post by silvdm03 »

Hi Acoustica team,
Just wanted to follow up here and see if there has been any progress made on resolving this issue. I'm currently on build 469 now and still experiencing this issue. Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

This problem was marked as resolved as of build 463, but it looks like it's back now. Thanks for reporting it!

At this point, any fix probably won't show up until Mixcraft 10 is released (hopefully later this year).

As a workaround, you could copy and paste the curved automation. Set the caret at the start of where you want the copied automation to appear.

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

It would be fair fix old bugs first rather than releasing a new version.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

herodotas wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:22 am It would be fair fix old bugs first rather than releasing a new version.
Hi,

We eventually have to reach a point where we stop fixing bugs on old versions, or we'd never release a new version.

Greg
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

Hello,
can I ask, why you need to release new version every year?
Gasparius

Post by Gasparius »

Hi Acoustica!
Unfortunately, now I have also encountered this problem, it is not possible to copy the curved automation.
I wanted to put a part of the music to another location, "Select all track" - "Cut" - "Copy", but the curved automatics didn't move to the other location.
This can be very annoying, and too much extra work...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

herodotas wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:31 pm Hello,
can I ask, why you need to release new version every year?
We don't. Mixcraft 9 was released in 2019, and we spend a lot of time creating free updates for each new version, but at some point we have to cut it off. Mixcraft 9 went from build 436 to build 469 - all free updates.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Gasparius wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:27 am Hi Acoustica!
Unfortunately, now I have also encountered this problem, it is not possible to copy the curved automation.
I wanted to put a part of the music to another location, "Select all track" - "Cut" - "Copy", but the curved automatics didn't move to the other location.
This can be very annoying, and too much extra work...
I agree, it is annoying.
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

[/quote]

We don't. Mixcraft 9 was released in 2019, and we spend a lot of time creating free updates for each new version, but at some point we have to cut it off. Mixcraft 9 went from build 436 to build 469 - all free updates.
[/quote]

IMO by releasing new version, without bug fixed old version, you just force users to buy new version. New version must have new features, not old bugs fixes.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

IMO, herodotas, and I have no affiliation with Acoustica other than being a customer:

There can't be a perpetual free version or the company could never make any money to actually keep making changes or additions. Responses to queries, updates, intermittent releases, maintaining the website all costs time and money. And while there is basically a 2 year window of free updates and changes, it can't go on indefinately. And as a help to an existing customer, new full version releases are discounted.

Don't get caught up in the idea that there is unlimited time and resources to both fix bugs and work on a new release with new features. There's very few business models where free fixes are eternal. It just doesn't make sense if one wants to stay in business. And in this particular case there isn't a software failure where you can't utilize the software. If there was a catestrophic failure due to the software programming itself then one might be entitled to a refund or some form of compensation.

I disagree utterly that the users are being forced to purchase a newer version. There are people that are still using version 6.

There is software out there that gets "sunset" after a license expiry date and can no longer be used (it physically won't run) without the purchase of a new license. That's not the case here.
herodotas

Post by herodotas »

I don't want permanent free updates, it just about approach to things. Some bugs in Mx9 are from previous versions, some bugs, like in this topic, are "resolved" but they are here. There is not very cardinal changes from Mx8 to Mx9, accept Audio to MIDI and clips envelopes, maybe Mx10 blow up brain with new features, maybe not, and people, will decide to stay with Mx9 will have to live with these old annoying bugs (who knows, maybe we found some Mx8 bugs in Mx10 to). That is not fair. Many developers do last bug fixes before start work on new version. In these times, where are free DAW's like Cakewalk and Waveform free ( both are superior to Mixcraft IMO) is very easy to lost customers. This is my point of view. But anyway I send good wishes to developers.