Trouble with plugins

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dimitreze

Trouble with plugins

Post by dimitreze »

Hi!
I'm really frustrated with Mixcraft right now.
For weeks some plugins are crashing. I can't save a MP3 or Wave file without some problem. I get a warning that a plugin had to be muted.
It's a long song with tons of channels. The vocals are usually the most affected (maybe a melodyne problem?). I tried to save the vocals in another file and then bounce to put the final vocal audio on the main project. But still it's hard to save a file without crashing some plugin.
The final wave file ends up with a mute part or with a loud noise.
Sometimes I open the file and some plugin crashs and makes a loud screeching noise.
It's usually native Mixcraft plugins like TB Reverb, TB Compressor, etc. Even Voxengo Spectrum Analyzer that's just there, doing nothing. Also it's usually audios within a submix channel.
What's seem to be the problem? What do I do?
dimitreze

Re: Trouble with plugins

Post by dimitreze »

Best case scenario, I get a wave file with this noise right after a troublesome channel starts. It's usually a plugin crashing, so the channel doesn't have a reverb or a compression in it.
Attachments
noise.png
noise.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

A shot in the dark but my advice, if you haven't done it already, would be to increase your audio buffer size, assuming you're not in the process of doing any live tracking. If everything's already recorded then the buffer size can be set really high - you've got nothing to lose. I have a rickety old system and I can just about get to track live at 128 samples, freezing tracks as I go because of the kind of problems you are experiencing. Once all is recorded I whack the buffer size up to 1024 samples and Mixcraft runs as smooth as silk with all tracks unfrozen. No hiccups at all.

That being said every system seems to have its quirks and I do have a couple of weird graphics problems with certain plugins which cause Mixcraft to freeze up/crash (some instances of Waves GTR and GTRSolo spring to mind) so maybe it'd be worth investigating whether your problems could be graphics card related.
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I seem to recall you having similar problems before?
As then, the best way to narrow in on these types of problems is to open a support ticket via the link at the top of this page, and submit a log file as instructed there.

General tips though- I do seem to recall some problems with TB plug-ins on a specific Windows build.
Also, be aware that plug-in crashes can be caused by other plug ins, or other issues altogether, and aren't always the root cause themselves.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

TB plugins crashed with Windows 7 in an older build of Mixcraft, but that problem is fixed in build 462.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dimitreze

Post by dimitreze »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pm Hi,

TB plugins crashed with Windows 7 in an older build of Mixcraft, but that problem is fixed in build 462.

Greg
I found the error. It was an entirely different plugin.
It work out after I stopped using it.
Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

That's the tricky part - sometimes a buggy plugin can cause the next plugin in line to crash.
Jpwnz

Post by Jpwnz »

I'm having the same issues and it's really ticking me off. I mainly just record rap music so I was able to circumvent or deal with some pauses and glitches on mix downs here and there, but recently I have been trying to help my friend mix his tracks which have layers and layers of drums, guitars, vocals, etc. I'm constantly, and I mean constantly having plugins mute themselves. Sometimes out of no where but usually when I try to mix down. Izotopes Mouth De-Click is a huge one, my SmartEQ constantly does it, sometimes IZotope Mastering Essentials. It's always a game of which one is going to mute. Then I'm always afraid to save my file in fear it will still be messed up when I restart, so I end up losing a bunch of progress. And the mix down goes right in the trash cause it usually has glitches and I don't know if the effect made it in or not. I even started cranking my buffer size to 2048 when I edit and I'm still having issues.

If it's not the plugins muting, I have tons of loud pops and cracks in my mix. I have to literally have the plugin menu open for that track when I mix down else it does it and then it just happens on another part of the song with some other effect. I mean I have a 5950X with 32 gbs of ram, there is absolutely no reason why I should be having this issue! Yesterday I saved my project and tried to open to it back up and about 10 tracks with different Shred Guitar plugins all stopped working. A message kept popping up saying the plugin couldn't be loaded and I had to go back in and manually re-add them all. This is turning into an absolute nightmare. What do I have to do to stop this from happening? Does 32 bit Mixcraft really make a difference? Should I stop using 64 bit entirely? Should I stop using VST3s? This doesn't make any sense!
Jpwnz

Post by Jpwnz »

Oh my Lord I am about to quit...
wtf.png
wtf.png (16.24 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The next time that happens, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

In regard to the pops and clicks, you could try freezing some plugin-heavy tracks before you mix down.

Greg