Turning A Project Into A Wav When Using External Synths

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

redmanor

Turning A Project Into A Wav When Using External Synths

Post by redmanor »

Hi,
Just started using mixcraft after spending years on Logic.

So, I've created a track and I use a lot of external synths.

I have midi patterns for triggering the notes and audio in from the synths into my interface which is routed to audio channels in Mixcraft, which is showing in the mixer and has FX added.

It all plays lovely.

Now I want to "bounce" the whole track as a WAV.

In Logic I would do a "real-time render". The track would play and Logic would record the resulting sound file.

The only option I can see in Mixcraft is the "Mix Down To" option. This naturally gives an error, as you can't render external synths, they have to be played in real-time.

Can someone point me in the direction of how I do this in Mixcraft?

I hope it's possible...as I just paid for the product yesterday and if I can only produce finished songs that don't use external synths, or I have to use something like Audacity, I'm not going to be happy.

Thanks in advance!
GovernmentMule

Re: Turning A Project Into A Wav When Using External Synths

Post by GovernmentMule »

You have to record your external synth tracks first in realtime. Just solo your midi and external synth audio tracks and record them then you can mix down your whole project. At least that is the only way I know of and the way I do It.
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

Thanks for your input.
So I need to bounce down all external tracks first, then mute the midi tracks, then render it as a whole song?

I take it you mean that you arm the audio tracks for the synths, and then let it play or record them externally in something like Audacity?

I've got to say that this is something Fruity Loops could do 20 years ago and seems like a massive oversight for a piece of software that labels itself as a "Pro Studio"...pro studios have outboard gear...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, just arm an audio track and record the audio output of the synth.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

Thanks Greg.
So I have to do that for all the synths and tracks that use outboard? I use quite a few, I've a 24 track studio.

I'm not near the PC at the moment, but a thought occurs...can I arm the master track and record that if I play the song? That would give me a recording of the whole song then, which is what I'm looking for.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
How many inputs does your audio interface have?
If it has 2 inputs, then you could record as stereo signal of 2 mono signals from your external synths. If the audio from your synths to through a mixer, you could mix your parts there, then record that mix. If you have more than 2 inputs you can arm those multiple inputs to record your synth audio.
I have an 8 input interface, so I can record 4 stereo sounds of 8 mono sounds from my synths.
Even if you have to record multiple takes for your different synth audio parts, once recorded, you can mix your tracks thn use the, Mix To, function to get your stereo WAVE sound file.
I have done this on some of my pieces, as I play the parts live, not from a midi file.
Hope this helps.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

Thanks,
I've got 24 inputs.
I'm coming to the conclusion that Mixcraft can't do what I want it to, that it's mostly for those that create totally "in the box"
I don't want to have to bounce all the tracks that use outboard effects or synths individually, just to be able to get a standalone sound file of a song.
I can't believe in this day and age, where there are more new hardware synths available than there has been in years, that the makers don't have this crucial function, that has been in other DAWs for the past 20 years...
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
If you have 24 inputs, is it a mixer with a built in interface? Some mixers like that only give you 2 tracks ( stereo ) of digital audio.
I use a Focusrite 18i20, which allows me to record 8 tracks at a time, when I need to. I did that for recording a drum kit. I can expand to 16 inputs with one of their octo-preamps.
Mixcraft is able to record more than 2 tracks at a time, if your interface and it's software allows it. You should be able to have your midi file play your synths, and record their audio into audio tracks in Mixcraft.
One of the features I wanted, was to.he able to record more than 2 tracks at a time. Mixcraft had this, and it has worked well for me.

If you can only record 2 tracks, and your interface is a mixer, you could have your midi file play your synths and mix the sound to what you want. Then have the midi play your synths and record .

Hope this has helped.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

Hi Myran,
I have a Motu interface with 8 ins and outs and then 2 X 8 port ad interfaces connected via ADAT to the Motu to give me 24 ports, but that's not the issue.

In every other daw I can do an online render of the entire song, you know, so I can upload it to Spotify etc.

There's no way to do this in Mixcraft apparently.

I gave Reaper a try, and it's right there, like it is in Logic, FL Studio, Cubase, Studio One....

Shame, as I liked the workflow in Mixcraft.

Now if only support would respond to my refund request.

Thanks for everyone's help, but this is a deal-breaker for me...I didn't notice it was missing in the demo as I took it as a given.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What do you mean by an online render? With Mixcraft, you could mix down to an audio file and then upload that to whatever service you want.

So, you're looking for a feature that would record the output of your hardware synths, and create an audio file with other tracks in the Mixcraft and then upload it automatically or something?

With the way Mixcraft currently works, you'd record the output of your hardware synths, make sure everything sounds right, then mix down to an audio file.

Greg
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

Forget the uploading bit.

What I mean is I have a song all arranged.
There are external synths and outboard processing in play as well as vsts.

In other DAWs you do a real-time / online render where it plays the song and records it all as a file of your choice. You don't have to bounce down the external items as audio files first and then render it.

This is what I'm looking for, but isn't in Mixcraft from what I can tell.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, I get it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along!

Greg
redmanor

Post by redmanor »

I can't believe it's not there Greg.

All you really need is to be able to record the master outputs whilst playing the song.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Believe it, and also that we don't get that many requests for it, as evidenced by my confusion at what you wanted.

Feature request logged.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

"Inline render" or bounce I believe it is typically called.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page