Sharing MIDI channels?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lamamingyar

Sharing MIDI channels?

Post by lamamingyar »

I have a horrible feeling that this is a really stupid question, but I'm quite big now and can stand a little rough stuff.

I'm running Pro Studio 9. I have a Roland Boutique (JP-08) as an external instrument, and need to run its MIDI editor to change sound parameters in real time. As things stand, I have my usual MIDI keyboard connected direct to the Boutique. However, to run the editor, this is bypassed and the Boutique is connected direct from the computer to MIDI in via USB. Another USB cable from the Boutique carries other MIDI information to the Editor.

My problem is this:

I can connect the keyboard to the Boutique in the usual way (MIDI) and run the Editor.
I can connect the keyboard to the Boutique via USB and play as normal, but I can't run the Editor, because both the Editor and the keyboard address the synth through the same MIDI channel. With the Editor, the instrument needs three tracks simultaneously: one for the keyboard, one for the Editor and one for the Audio from the instrument. If I set the specified MIDI channel (Boutique) for the keyboard, I can't use it again for the Editor, and vice versa.

Is there a way that I can run both together (i.e. share the MIDI channel)?
cactus-head

Re: Sharing MIDI channels?

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

I'm not understanding your connection chain. Where does mixcraft fit in? Why are you connecting two midi paths from the keyboard to the boutique?

If the source of a MIDI track was Mixcraft and the JP-08 was the destination to play the sound, the connection would be:

Mixcraft (Computer) > MIDI Out > JP-08 > Audio

Where is the additiona MIDI keyboard needed? Aren't there editing controls on the face of the JP-08?
Drdish007

Re: Sharing MIDI channels?

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use a MOTU 5 input / output midi unit . It connects to my computer via USB. It has 5 five pin midi inputs and 5 five pin midi outputs. I have 3 keyboard controllers connected ( Keystation 88, Roland D5, and a 49 key controller ) . I connect one of the outputs to the IN on my Roland U220 module, the U220 THRU out to the IN on the D5, the D5 THRU out to my B3 module.
I can control / play on any of my outboard synths, and My virtual synths. I can have all keyboards play different synth ( hardware or virtual ) at the same time. I just set the MIDI receive channels of the synths to match to which controller I want it controlled from.

Something like this may work for you. I have recorded to a MIDI track and had it play back to control my hardware synths.

- My ran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1