Midi CC and Pedalboard (Voicelive 3X)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Klaus A

Midi CC and Pedalboard (Voicelive 3X)

Post by Klaus A »

Hi,

I am using Mixcraft 8.1 and want to automate some existing midi-files to control my voicelive 3X to automatically switch between effects during our live performance with the band.
I already managed to create an extra midi track and transfer the functions from my pedal board to that track. Whan I Re-Play it again, the functions on the pedal board change as planed. But there are some functions on the voicelive 3 like "the presets", that have to be entered manually to the track. But I could not find out yet, how to do that. I am not even able to see / edit what's in the track.
Can someone help me with that challange?
cactus-head

Re: Midi CC and Pedalboard (Voicelive 3X)

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Presets may need some programming in the file itself. Mixcraft's MIDI programming isn't super robust, but you may be able to activate some bank switching and then program change functions. I'm not sure this will work for you but once you have your MIDI clip loaded go to the sound section on Mixcraft.

Click the first note or the first open space in the midi file. On the left drop down under the piano roll, choose Bank Select (CC 32). This should set up your ability to select your first set of patches (presets). Change the bank number to the appropriate value. Bank 0 = patch 0-127 (or 1 - 128) Bank 1 = patch 128 - 255 etc.

Bank Select.JPG
Bank Select.JPG (111 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

Click the same spot and then change the drop selection to Program Change. Now RIGHT CLICK where you see the little blue bar from the Bank Select we did previously and there should be a menu item Add Contoller... Choose that and a little slider should appear that's labeled Program Change. Change this to your preset number.

Hopefully this works for you. You should be able to do this whereever you need to change the preset in the track.
Last edited by cactus-head on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus A

Post by Klaus A »

Ok, thanks a lot,
.it worked so far. I have to play around a bit and may be I'll come back to you. :D
Klaus A

Post by Klaus A »

Ok, I have to come back to you.
Our Band-Set is a Yamaha midi-Keyboard and a VGA-Monitor that shows us the lyrics and the chords on stage.
Lyrics and chords are part of our midi-files that we have purchased.
After adding a midi-cc control track to the midi-files with Mixcraft, I have to save them again. After saveing in Mixcraft, the lyrics and the chords are gone!
What can I do?

Best regards
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I don't understand. Where are you seeing chords and lyrics in Mixcraft?
And you aren't modifying your original files correct? Are you just modifying the track you recorded from your pedal board?

[Edit]

If you are trying to edit copies of your original karaoke midi files, Mixcraft doesn't seem to be able to store Meta Events like lyrics when you save a MIDI file from Mixcraft. You'll need an external MIDI editor to do that if you want to modify copies of the MIDI files with lyrics in them. But again, you mentioned at the beginning that you were using a track recorded from your pedal board and the only thing that wouldn't work was presets. Ideally you want to add the Bank and Program change to your controller track.