Comparing Reference Track to the Master Fader Song with FX

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DanTheSongwriter

Comparing Reference Track to the Master Fader Song with FX

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

I'm using a mastered song to reference against but how do I contrast/compare with my original when they're both going to the same Master Bus with effects on it? How do I ( or is it possible to ) create an 'extra Master Bus' with no fx that I can run the reference track through?

Thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Comparing Reference Track to the Master Fader Song with FX

Post by Mark Bliss »

You can do this with sub-mix tracks:

Create a submix with all tracks but your reference track(s) and place whatever you have on the master inserts there.

This is why most of my mixing templates generally have nothing but metering plug-ins on the master bus.

There are also plug-ins dedicated to using reference tracks. The advantage can be the ability to toggle instantly between them without the delay of toggling solo buttons.
The disadvantage is cost...

Most if the time, (not always) I am more critical about referencing at the later/mastering stage of my projects. So I will usually be referencing a mix-down (or a group of mix-downs) against a reference (or group of reference) tracks.
This is different in that I will open a mastering project and the tracks are songs that I can toggle through and compare.

And sometimes its just a matter of stepping away from a mix and listening to something else to reset my ears for reference.

Theres many ways to skin this cat. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
DanTheSongwriter

Post by DanTheSongwriter »

Great way to go. I'll check that out.

Thanks.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I love the simplicity of the idea of using a submix as a 'master' track. Great solution.