Comments per track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MikeDVI

Comments per track?

Post by MikeDVI »

Hi all, normally in a song I add in the comments section what was used on each track IE; guitar type, Eleven Rack settings, mics, in case a customer wants changes like next month. (I can't even remember what I did yesterday) LOL

Is there a way to add comments on each track vs putting them all in comments?

MX9 Pro Studio b468

Thanks!
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
jwarv

Re: Comments per track?

Post by jwarv »

I don't know of any, but you could type it in the name of the track. Could get lengthy, but it's a good start.
RaveyDavey

Post by RaveyDavey »

Don't know if it helps but Melda have a set of free plugins
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

One of which is called MNotepad - you could install the free bundle and then remove the ones you don't want.
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Many thanks...

Jwarv - I did try the track title trick, but scrolling to read long ones it is a tough as you mentioned.

RaveyDavey- A notepad plugin? Interesting and will check it out!

Mike
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

How crazy would it be to create a word doc of your comments and convert it to a jpeg, then add it to the track as an icon? It expands when you resize the track. What is an annoying feature to some could be a boon for you. Of course, now that I said that, watch Acoustica remove it from all the previous complaints. :lol:
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Like this. I used Paint to create the jpeg. It took some doing to get the right font size and crop it to fit, but once you get a system down it's easy. However, sounds like a built-in system would be MUCH easier than my silly workaround. Plus, you would have all these jpegs piling up in a folder. Yuck. Forget my idea, :oops: but it was fun figuring it out.
COMMENTS IN TRACK.jpg
COMMENTS IN TRACK.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

It would be great to have a native track comment feature in Mixcraft.
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

jwarv wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 am Like this. I used Paint to create the jpeg. It took some doing to get the right font size and crop it to fit, but once you get a system down it's easy. However, sounds like a built-in system would be MUCH easier than my silly workaround. Plus, you would have all these jpegs piling up in a folder. Yuck. Forget my idea, :oops: but it was fun figuring it out.
Hmmm. Don't bail out yet! If we put those JPEG's in a "track comments" folder in each song master folder, and name each jpeg as (tracknumber.jpeg) it may not be that bad. But I do see your point...

Then of course if you are like me, half way through the darn song moving tracks around...there goes that!

For now I'll prolly stick with the master comments area, should post on the feature requests page and antagonize the development team LOL

Mike
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How would you all like to see a track comment feature work?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:14 am Hi,

Greg
Ooh, thanks for asking.

1. How about a small pencil icon that opens an editable drop-down window when clicked? Sort of like the color choices.

Or...

2. Right-click, then comments, then pop-up.
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Greg
I agree with jwarv Greg and thanks also!

A drop down "notepad" of sorts for free form text; a typical note for me would be something like this (for example on a lead electric track): Sunburst Les Paul, bridge pup, Eleven Rack patch J2, MXR dyna comp 10:00/1:00.

Mike
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

jwarv wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:21 am

Greg
Ooh, thanks for asking.

1. How about a small pencil icon that opens an editable drop-down window when clicked? Sort of like the color choices.

Or...

2. Right-click, then comments, then pop-up.
Forget the 2nd option. Too many steps. And as MikeDVI said, tracks get moved. So, a numbering system would fail. It appears that the winner would be option #1. Pencil icon negotiable. Could also be a little notepad.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I don't feel notes deserves track real estate of its own, I'd rather it be a submenu item on right click or under the dropdown arrow that's already there.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

freightgod wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:17 pm I don't feel notes deserves track real estate of its own, I'd rather it be a submenu item on right click or under the dropdown arrow that's already there.
"Track real estate". :lol: Good one. Stick it in the storage shed, eh? Yeah, it's not quite a direct, audio related function. And it would start to crowd up an already clean display.
sachelis

Post by sachelis »

I think the "track comments" (I'd use the term "comments" rather than "notes," because "notes" a music term, too and using notes makes it difficult to search the web to learn more about the feature) should be similar to the "Project Notes" (which I'd call "Project Comments").

I would add a tab in the Project Comments/Notes pane called Track Comments. When that pane is selected, it would show comments for whatever track is selected. This would give a huge pane to enter comments and would be very similar to the project comments/notes (i.e., entered in the same place, just on a different tab).

One guy's opinion (I am a front-end application engineer, which only qualifies me to know there is more than one good way to implement a feature).