Volume Issue

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

balarila

Re: Volume Issue

Post by balarila »

How about making the modwheel reset in Preferences work? I.e. if left unchecked, the modwheel value stays what it is as of last playback.

I think that’s what that option is supposed to do, right?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you un-check that option, then click OK and restart Mixcraft, the problem still occurs? I just tested it here with that option off (after restarting Mixcraft), and the mod wheel does not reset at the end of playback.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Doesn't seem to help with the aria player. Here's some info I dug out of the help file on their website:

The mod wheel controls the dynamic ebb and flow of volume and timbre changes. In the case of a sequencer, make sure to record a nudge of the mod wheel at the beginning of every MIDI track so that Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 instruments will start with the correct volume upon playback. Remember that in Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 the mod wheel is not a “set and forget” controller. It is intended to be used as an expressive controller that is in nearly constant motion shaping the volume and timbre of a passage.

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/GPO5/C ... ntrols.htm

It would seem it is behaving as designed if you consider Mixcraft a sequencer in this particular case; it hints at my original suggestion to set a mod wheel value on the MIDI clip.
balarila

Post by balarila »

Thanks, cactus-head. I should really read the manual more.

I have put a mod-wheel value on all my clips as a workaround. Just so tedious.

I understand that this “issue” falls in the void outside the scope of either Garritan or Acoustica. What I just find strange is that this problem does not occur in MX7. Am hoping Acoustica re-look at that MX7 vs MX9 implementation of the unchecked modwheel reset option and find a happy solution for us.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When was the last time you tried it in Mixcraft 7? Mixcraft 7 doesn't have the preference to reset the mod wheel when playback ends.

Greg
balarila

Post by balarila »

Yes. MX7 does not have the preference to reset modwheel when playback ends.

Tried it again just a minute ago. I still have MX7 installed in my PC.

This is how I tested:
I made one clip using Garritan's French Horn with a scale: do-re-mi...do-ti-la...do.
While playing back, I moved the modwheel a few times with the Aria engine window open so I can observe the CC1 value move.
The CC1 value stayed where it was when the clip ended.

When I played back the clip, the CC1 value started where it ended the last time.
I tried doing this with full playback of the clip or stopping playback midclip and restarting the clip or playing somewhere in the middle of the clip.

In all cases, the CC1 value always remained unchanged after playback ends or is stopped. The CC1 value is always carried over to the next playback.

When I do this in MX9. The CC1 value is always reset to zero the moment I touch the modwheel.

I found the old thread where I first mentioned this issue. See the last message in this thread:
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 248#p21248

Seems I first encountered this problem in MX4. But it was solved (or simply disappeared) in MX5 beta up until MX7. I did not upgrade to MX8 so I don't know if this issue reappeared in that version.

Hope a solution can be found. This is driving me nuts. If it weren't for Melodyne, I'd go back to MX7.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yeah, looks like Mixcraft 7 just never resets the mod wheel, which is probably not optimal for most scenarios.

With Mixcraft 9, if I put a mod wheel command in the middle of a MIDI clip and play it, the mod wheel is reset when I have that preference switched on and playback stops, and it's not reset when I have that preference switched off.

I'm not sure why that should be different with Garritan. Did you quit Mixcraft and restart it after changing the setting in preferences? That is required for the setting change to take effect.

Also, with the mod wheel option off, what if you allow playback to stop on its own, and then play the project again? Is the mod wheel reset?

Greg
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

There's another thread where this is affecting other VST(i)s . There's also a workaround for it that seems to work but it does seem to highight that this is a problem specific to Mixcraft

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27684
balarila

Post by balarila »

Thanks, so much!

I got tired of raising this issue between Mixcraft and Garritan that I just resorted to training myself to keep touching the modwheel.

I also downloaded the free version of Spitfire and never noticed this anomaly; probably because I now have the ha it of nudging the modwheel.

Hope this workaround will lead the Acoustica guys to a real software solution.

Thanks, again!