Advice wanted on Monitor (Visual)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

botface

Advice wanted on Monitor (Visual)

Post by botface »

I was using a 23" TV as a monitor. It was fine for most things but I decided I needed something bigger. So, I bought a 32" TV. It's a LED HD screen with 1366X786 resolution. It works great as a TV but as a monitor it's not very good at all. Text especially is not at all clear and likewise any small graphics - controls on VST's for instance. For some reason Mixcraft is very badly affected and it's very difficult to read things like the details on the mixer or library lists.

From what I've been able to gather it's to do with pixel density and the general consensus seems to be that once you go above 28" things are a bit hit and miss. It looks like I just didn't do enough research. I just assumed that as the 24" one I'd been using gave good results a bigger screen could only be better

Anyway, I'm assuming that getting a proper computer monitor would give me better results. However, it rapidly gets very confusing with all the different technologies available. Can anybody point me in the right direction? What I'm looking for is something that will give me crystal clear text, even when it's very small. Needless to say I don't want to spend more than I have to. Size is not that important but I think I want something 27" minimum and 32" maximum size
Rolling Estonian

Re: Advice wanted on Monitor (Visual)

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Any monitor under 32" is very affordable these days and online retailers have sales all the time. TV's work but as you noticed they're not as good as monitors when it comes to clarity, text, etc.

M
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Would you not consider dual monitors? I went from 1 x 21in to 2 x 24in monitors via DisplayPort. Best thing I ever did. Makes life so much easier. Got them on eBay for £120 the pair and they're in perfect condition, less than 3 years old.

I had used a 32in LED TV like yourself before and didn't really have any issues.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
botface

Post by botface »

So, I'm looking at 27" 1080p IPS monitor. Does anybody use something like that and can comment on readability of small text, icons etc?

Thanks
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I'm using a 24" and it works great.

M
edude15000

Post by edude15000 »

If you're going with a 32", you're going to want at least a 2k resolution (1440) even a 1080p resolution is going to look blurry stretched to a 32".
botface

Post by botface »

Just posting this in case it helps anybody else in future.............................

I got a 27 inch "Full HD", 1080p monitor and it works great. Everything is crystal clear