Mixcraft's Track advantages

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

HawaiianEye

Mixcraft's Track advantages

Post by HawaiianEye »

I come from the past world of Tape and Mixers.
I usually separate drum tracks into Bass, Snare, Hihat, Ride, and so on...
This is so I can adjust volume, etc. of each percussive instrument.
But, I noticed in Mixcraft9 ,I can additively assemble separate drum instruments on a single track.
What's the advantage of the latter?
I am slowly figuring out Mixcraft. I like it!
I am not a finger drummer. I usually lay down one drum at a time.
Perhaps bass and snare together but not always. LOL!
Thanks!
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft's Track advantages

Post by Mark Bliss »

Too vague.

Multi tracks, lanes, submixes, one midi track.... Theres a hundred possible variations.

Is this a question specifically about what you are doing? Or about how you want to do it?
In order to give a useful answer, we need more specifics about what you are doing, or what you want to do...
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Here's my thoughts...
I think you my be referring to the 'building up' of a drum part by overdubbing? If so, then indeed it can be done on a single track (make sure recording mode is set to overdub) and the result would be a single track with multiple lanes; each carrying a single instrument.
And while even individual lanes could be adjusted for volume and panning through automation on the clip itself (see pic), this would be rather tedious - you'd have to enlarge the clips to make fine adjustments.
Far easier, I'd say, would be to record the individual instruments onto separate tracks where volume and panning would be so much easier, but you could also add FX to individual tracks if required.
Something else to consider would be drum software such as EZDrummer 2 - on sale at the moment. Not only top quality samples played by pro muso's but it can also be mixed within the software to produce a single stereo track if you so wish. Of course, you could also input manually as well.
Volume and Pan clip automation.png
Volume and Pan clip automation.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
HawaiianEye

Post by HawaiianEye »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:06 pm Too vague.

Multi tracks, lanes, submixes, one midi track.... Theres a hundred possible variations.

Is this a question specifically about what you are doing? Or about how you want to do it?
In order to give a useful answer, we need more specifics about what you are doing, or what you want to do...
Sorry! I'm not so swift about explaining this.
Question.
When you say "we need more specifics..." are you representing a certain group on this forum, or are you meaning the "Royal" we? ; )
HawaiianEye

Post by HawaiianEye »

trevlyns wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:55 pm Here's my thoughts...
I think you my be referring to the 'building up' of a drum part by overdubbing? If so, then indeed it can be done on a single track (make sure recording mode is set to overdub) and the result would be a single track with multiple lanes; each carrying a single instrument.
And while even individual lanes could be adjusted for volume and panning through automation on the clip itself (see pic), this would be rather tedious - you'd have to enlarge the clips to make fine adjustments.
Far easier, I'd say, would be to record the individual instruments onto separate tracks where volume and panning would be so much easier, but you could also add FX to individual tracks if required.
Something else to consider would be drum software such as EZDrummer 2 - on sale at the moment. Not only top quality samples played by pro muso's but it can also be mixed within the software to produce a single stereo track if you so wish. Of course, you could also input manually as well.

Yes! Sorry about how I express myself. If we were talking in person, I could be more clear, and we would get along great!
You got it all right! That's what I was trying to convey. I noticed 2 ways to build a drum part. I like how you reaffirmed the easier way to build separate tracks!! I have NI Komplete 12 which has more than a couple of pretty nice drum kits. But I need to Play them. They do not include a built in "drum machine". I've already put together some basic songs. While doing so, I noticed the possibility of overdubbing on one track.
But wondered if that what I should be doing, because it took up less space, etc.
So, thank You for helping me in this! Aloha from Maui
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I mean the people here who would like to help you "we"

This is good user forum frequented by long time users who are keen on helping people find solutions. Not the common online site where you find people who are often demeaning and picking on newcomers. We dont do that.

And BTW and FWIW, I also go back to the days of tape and mixers, and can relate well to adapting to the digital realm. It was a bit overwhelming at first.

So... What can "we" do to help you?

(BTW, if you would prefer to wait for an Acoustica rep response, we will respect that as well)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

HawaiianEye wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:15 am
trevlyns wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:55 pm Here's my thoughts...

Yes! Sorry about how I express myself. If we were talking in person, I could be more clear, and we would get along great!
You got it all right! That's what I was trying to convey. I noticed 2 ways to build a drum part. I like how you reaffirmed the easier way to build separate tracks!! I have NI Komplete 12 which has more than a couple of pretty nice drum kits. But I need to Play them. They do not include a built in "drum machine". I've already put together some basic songs. While doing so, I noticed the possibility of overdubbing on one track.
But wondered if that what I should be doing, because it took up less space, etc.
So, thank You for helping me in this! Aloha from Maui
Aloha!

Saving space is one of my obsessions, but I think in terms of mixing, you may want to let each part be editable. Unless you are happy with the way they already sound. With drums, some are pickier about each and every component. So, in that case, it would be better that they each have their own separate track. Personally, I find the balance of EZDrummer to work most of the time and have no issues with all the parts being in one midi clip. However, EZD has it's own mixer and can be spread out over multiple channels if you want to EQ the components individually. From time to time I will use that feature.

That being said, if it's a clean work environment you want, drag all your drum tracks into a Submix and minimize it. Then it will be neatly packed away and always available for future tweaking. If that's what you are going for, of course.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

There's also a little + in the header of the track that will show you the child tracks of the drums so you can have separate drums on separate child tracks. If that's what you're referring to.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Theres many ways to skin this cat...

For a demo type project, I might use the "all in one track" approach.
But for a serious "deep mixing" project I prefer "old school" individual tracks.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:38 am There's also a little + in the header of the track that will show you the child tracks of the drums so you can have separate drums on separate child tracks. If that's what you're referring to.

M
I used to wonder what all of those "extra tracks" were. :lol:
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

jwarv wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:12 amI used to wonder what all of those "extra tracks" were. :lol:
First thing I do in EZD2 is go to the mixer, select multichannel, and number sequencially, helps me a lot.

M
HawaiianEye

Post by HawaiianEye »

Aloha!

Saving space is one of my obsessions, but I think in terms of mixing, you may want to let each part be editable. Unless you are happy with the way they already sound. With drums, some are pickier about each and every component. So, in that case, it would be better that they each have their own separate track. Personally, I find the balance of EZDrummer to work most of the time and have no issues with all the parts being in one midi clip. However, EZD has it's own mixer and can be spread out over multiple channels if you want to EQ the components individually. From time to time I will use that feature.

That being said, if it's a clean work environment you want, drag all your drum tracks into a Submix and minimize it. Then it will be neatly packed away and always available for future tweaking. If that's what you are going for, of course.
[/quote]

Thank you, jwarv
This info on submix is very enlightening!
Also there have been several good recomendations about EZ Drummer 2!
This year's deep discount sales season, is about Ka-put!
HawaiianEye

Post by HawaiianEye »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 am I mean the people here who would like to help you "we"

This is good user forum frequented by long time users who are keen on helping people find solutions. Not the common online site where you find people who are often demeaning and picking on newcomers. We dont do that.

And BTW and FWIW, I also go back to the days of tape and mixers, and can relate well to adapting to the digital realm. It was a bit overwhelming at first.

So... What can "we" do to help you?

(BTW, if you would prefer to wait for an Acoustica rep response, we will respect that as well)
It's OK. Some of the others, have already jumped in and provided, and have continued to give very helpful info! Thanks to ALL! :D