So confused by Kontakt player...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

So confused by Kontakt player...

Post by BillW »

I have a song I'm working on with several horns - I use Chris Hein Horns Compact;

I can't say I know much on how to get dynamics out of it but it has always worked fine before

But the songs I've used it for only had 3 or 4 horns in it; this one has 6 and that may be my issue

I seem to have to load a separate instance of Kontakt / Chis Hein Horns for each (soprano sax. trumpet, alto sax, tenor sax, trombone, baritone sax); that seems to be a waste of resources but it seems to work without taxing my system at all

However, about halfway through the song, the baritone sax stops playing. Coincidentally or not - I have a marker set at exactly the spot it stops. And that marker is not at the beginning of a clip but after a couple of notes.

Each of my horn tracks I've discovered has 58 sub tracks (for example, the baritone is on track 15; clicking on the plus sign reveals 15.1, 15.2, .... 15.58)

Again, I'm ignorant on Chris Hein Horns (or is it Kontakt) as to why.

And I have zero idea if any of that explains why the baritone stops playing at that point. The clips play when I click on the play button on the clip. but the track itself does not.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

Bill
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Re: So confused by Kontakt player...

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not sure why one horn would stop playing. If you move the track marker, does the spot it stops change? There's no volume automation or anything? If you put a different MIDI clip in that spot, does it play?

You could have all the horns in one instance of Kontakt, each set to a different MIDI channel, each going to one of those output tracks you mentioned.

On the Mixcraft side, you'd add lanes to the track, and each lane would be on a different MIDI channel (right-click to set), (alternatively, you could direct the multiple tracks into one instance of Kontakt, each track on a different MIDI channel. See page 288 of the manual for "Route to Track").

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Re: So confused by Kontakt player...

Post by BillW »

Hi Greg - your instructions on how to run multiple horns on one track may well be the solution; but more important, I'm glad to know I don't need to run multiple instances of Kontakt for multiple horns; I figured there was a way but I couldn't find it from internet searches.

Thanks much!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.